General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Honda Accord LX - Shaking At High Speed & Wheel Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Default 1997 Honda Accord LX - Shaking At High Speed & Wheel Pulling

Hey guys

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer here but here goes....

The front CV joints and boots were recently changed.

At high speeds the car and wheel really shakes.
With a full tank of gas it's not as bad or noticeable.

It tends to pull to the right slightly if I let go of the wheel.

All 4 tires have the proper pressure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Default RE: 1997 Honda Accord LX - Shaking At High Speed & Wheel Pulling

Have you checked the wheel lugs? or maybe the damper fork assembly? Maybe when the cv axles were replaced the nuts and bolts weren't properly tightened. When I took my accord to a shop to have them replace the clutch they didn't tighten anything! After having it for a few hundred miles everything started to work loose causing a terrible noise and awful vibration. After I torqued everything dow it drove like normal.
It could be a poor alignment. Sometmes (although not likely with the accords) the alignment gets off with a CV Axle replacement.

It could also be a split belt on your tire. Sometimes, especially as road tempratures rise, tires fail and the steel belting on the radials split causing the tire to perform terribly. That would also make it jerk to the right or left depending on how the belt split or which tire it is.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:36 AM

Wow good info Drpepper thank you.

I have not checked the wheel lugs, I don't know how to be honest.
I have no idea what the damper fork assembly is

So your first idea sounds like it's the most likely.

I didn't have such awful vibration and pulling until after the CV boots.

Can this problem get worse or cause other problems or is it just annoying?
I think I'll take it back to the shop I got the work done at!

Would it be very noticeable/visible if the belt was split on the tire?

I can say before I deflated the tires a little bit I suspected they were losing tread as if I was burning out when pulling into the driveway I can see a bunch of black marks from the tires but I'm not 100% sure if it was me.

All I know is that after the CV boot everything was horrible.

Also, I recently replaced the back two tires but it didn't feel this bad until the CV boots.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I'll let you guys know if there's a resolution

Many thanks!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 AM

it sounds like your front wheels need to be rebalanced. the rears dont matter as much as the fronts you'll feel it in the steering wheel. any tire shop can do this.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

it sounds like your front wheels need to be rebalanced. the rears dont matter as much as the fronts you'll feel it in the steering wheel. any tire shop can do this.
I second this. 1st of all get your tires balanced & rotated. It only cost me $25 when I had mine done at my local oil change place.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Hey thanks again guys.

I should mention that a few weeks before the CV boots & joints that all 4 tires were balanced.

I think I'll just take the car in to balance the front 2 tires and go from there.

Does that sound like the best thing to try?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 PM

I sure wouldn't pay for a rebalance of tires until I took it back to the shop and gave them a test ride. They may have put in a bad part, or left something loose. It happens. When you said all 4 tires were balanced recently, I would think that eliminates wheel shake. Unless it threw a weight of course.

If you didn't have any problems before you got it "fixed", fixing it is most likely what caused the problem. If it's a reputable shop, they will stand behind their work. In fact, most shops I know would like to know if they did something wrong so they can be sure it doesn't happen again!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Hey guys

Well sorry for taking so long to update.

I took the car back, I don't know if they looked at anything related to the CV boots but they found one of the front's was out of balanced and rebalanced them. They also moved the new rear tires to the front, and the old fronts to the back.
He said the old front (currently rear right) is worn unevenly and he thinks the tire is questionable. He also suspected at one point that the left axle might be a problem but he only mentioned it intially.

The car still shakes at high speeds but the wheel doesn't pull anymore.

So what do you think the problem could be?

I might have the old rear tires replaced in a few weeks, is it worth it to figure out what the problem is?

Or could the problem be suspension, some of the bushings etc..

Old 06-09-2007, 02:40 AM

So they said onewheel was out of balance and they re-balanced but the car still shakes? Did they charge you? Take it to a different tireshop and ask them what is wrong. Tell them the story you told us. I am suspicious of that shop that changed your CV boots.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 AM

It's Certigard that I took it to.
I wasn't charged for the rebalance, the reason I went there is that J.D. Powers rates them #1 above everyone including dealerships.

They didn't charge for the re-balance.

All I know is that something is wrong, I'm not so sure if it's the tire...I mean I agree the tires are questionable but the pulling and shaking only happened after the CV boot.

Where do you guys suggest I go?

Thanks for everyone's advice and support.

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Accord LX - Shaking At High Speed & Wheel Pulling