General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord with Climate Control issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
kirk78h
Unregistered
Default 1998 Accord with Climate Control issues

A few months ago, all the lights on my Climate Control panel would go out, and my AC would start blowing warm air. The blower control is the only thing that worked. If I pressed the AC button, all lights would flash a few times, then go out again. Some times, after driving a while, the lights would come back on, and it would work normally. Now, it is always completely off.

I've checked all fuses in the box under the hood, on the driver side and the passenger side, and none are burned out. I also downloaded the ESM manual to see what the flashing means; but could not find anything. I read an earlier post that sounded similar; and was fixed by buying a new Climate Control panel on EBay. Before I try this, is there any way to diagnose this further?

Thank you,
Kirk

Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Default RE: 1998 Accord with Climate Control issues

before you buy a new panel I'd pull it out a little and make sure that all your connections are clean/tight. You could also try pulling the negative battery cable for a few minutes to see if it will reset, just be sure that you have your radio code handy if it's a stock radio.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Well, after checking the fuses and the connections I bought a control panel and now the lights and heater works but the controls light up but the air only goes to the side vents and the defroster. I sthis the control motoer for the vents? If it is where are these "motors located and how do I fix that??

Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

rockheadvv- What year car do you have? One of the rules is that you need to post this....it kind of helps. The location and testing procedures are different on my 86-89 cars vs the 95.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Default 1998 Honda Accord LX

Sorry I have a 1998 Honda Accord.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Default Vents

I don't recall the exact procedure. but perhaps in the DIY section is the procedure for pulling codes on your climate control panel. I could be wrong. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. LOL. It something like holding two buttons at once and then pushing the first one three times and then rubbing you best friends head with a jumanji stick. Kidding of course, but their is something like that to do. Sorry I could;nt help more. Good luck

Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Auto climate control or not? I had a 98 EX without auto-climate-control & there were no error codes for HVAC system. I think that stuff started in 2003.

You put 98 LX in the title, so I'll go with that in a 4-door.
Picture is the center part of the ventilation system & #5 is the mode motor. That one switches between defrost, dash-vents, & feet. You might be able to get to that by removing panels alongside the driver's right foot. Also probably the panel above driver's knees.

I guess I'd look for dirty/loose electrical connections to that motor, then check if the HVAC control panel has loose wiring too.

Or it might be that the motor works but some levers & linkages are broken. Look around & see what's up.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks, it is a 4door, your picture did not forward regarding the control motors. Thanks,

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

What? You mean the picture doesn't display?

www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
select HEATER UNIT as the component.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Well, looks like it is displaved now Thanks, now comes the good part standing on my head with a srew driver. No kidding thanks i will let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 1998 Accord with Climate Control issues