General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord F23A1 4 cyl: excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 Accord F23A1 4 cyl: excess oil consumption

I have a 1998 Accord LX 4 cyl, F23A1 engine, 5 sp manual with only 82k miles. First, I like it a lot, and it has the OEM machined 7 spoke alloy wheels from a '93 Prelude SI, which look really good on it. Also, I have changed the oil religiously (3k mi. or 3 mos). Recently I had Honda dealer replace the timing belt, etc. (including water pump, replace coolant, drive belts), plus the work included in a tune-up (distrib cap, plugs, spark plug wires, etc.). This was apr. $1100. Tech said the old plugs looked like it was burning clean (had just done over 1k miles on interstates). Tech also noted that the PVC was clogged & they cleaned it n/charge. However, since early December, I have noticed that it is consuming a lot of oil (don't know exactly, but 1 qt in 500-700 mi is probably close). I know it isn't the head gasket (no oil in coolant) and not the PVC valve (dealer cleaned it). So I assume it is oil control rings or valve stem seals (I have not yet looked at exhaust smoke color). My question is, assuming it is oil control rings or valve stem seals, is it likely worth repairing, or is it likely that there is other damage to the engine that would not make it worth while to repair. And, if it is worth repairing, any idea about cost? Finally, I have had virtually all repairs done by dealer. Is this something for dealer, or should I find independent garage that specializes in this? I live in Chicago. When I had the timing belt replaced, I had to return to the Honda dealer because, it turns out, one of the motor mounts or supports have not been replaced properly. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

For probably less than $10, why didn't the dealer simply put in a NEW PCV valve. I'd try that before you panic about rings & seals.

You can replace it yourself. It's the little plastic elbow stuck in the middle of the valve cover, with a rubber hose to the intake manifold.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim,
Thanks for the suggestion about replacing the PVC. If you don't mind commenting further, do you really think that could be causing a 1qt/500-700 mi. oil consumption, especially when dealer recently cleaned the original PVC?
Anyway, I'll certainly try that -- as you say, it would be less expensive than the alternatives.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it can cause that much oil consumption. If he put in a new one, it's way too soon to go bad. If it was bad (beyond being dirty) then I'm kinda dissappointed with the mechanic for not recognizing that.

It's PCV = positive crankcase ventilation (not PVC)
Shown here #2.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim,
Got it. Thanks for your further response.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 Accord 4 cyl: excess oil consumption

I recently posted a similar thread, but now have different/new details.
edit: I merged the threads for continuity (JimBlake)
-------------------------------------------------
I have 1998 Accord Sedan LX 5 spd manual w/ F23A1 engine, and 83,066 miles. In past 800 mi, I had to add 1 quart of oil -- after having a new PCV installed on 01/06/10. Mix was 300 highway/500 local miles. Also on 01/06/10, I had timing belt and related work, and tune up. I have religiously changed oil/filter every 3k mi or 3 mos. Also note on 01/06/10 service, dealer noted Code P420, which tech said was catalytic converter failing. Did not replace that. So, is this engine shot? Valve stem seals? Oil control rings? Would it only be those items, or does this mean cylinders are bad? I am a Honda fan, but I am not happy about this, especially since I have done the recommended oil changes. I also had an '01 MDX that had the notorious transmission failure, but fortunately that was covered by Acura warranty.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-21-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What was the oil consumption before? I have a 95 Accord which after doing the head gasket was consuming one quart per 500 miles. I switched from 5W30 synthetic to 10W30 conventional oil and now it consumes one quart per 1000 miles. I don’t know if it was the oil weight or synthetic and it is at 180,000 miles. Is there oil in the air cleaner box? If you had blow by that will usually happen but I doubt that is the case. Did the dealership change the oil when you had the other work? They may have changed to something new.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had noticed excess oil consumption for past several months, only recently started keeping track of miles/quarts.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

So it WAS a new PCV valve after all, probably rules that out (unless it's defective out of the box). You can remove it & shake it. There's a spring-loaded plunger inside, that is SUPPOSED to rattle.

Open the big rubber air duct (airfilter to throttlebody). There's a steel tube leading into there (#3 in the picture above). Is there a lot of oil coming from that tube into the intake?

Oil from that breather tube, or from the intake in general, will mostly be burned in the combustion chamber. If the oil comes from the exhaust valve seals, then it's not completely burned & can make trouble for the catalyst.

We still have to figure out where the oil is going.

- oily crud in the antifreeze? Check under the radiator cap not just the overflow reservoir.

- any leaks on the ground? Oily areas on the underside of the engine? I guess not otherwise you would have mentioned that?

- oily smell like it's dripping onto the outside of an exhaust pipe?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. I'll check out the latest diagnostic items you mention, probably over weekend, and repost.

Quick Reply: 1998 Accord F23A1 4 cyl: excess oil consumption