General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 honda accord cooling fan is not turning on and my car overheats.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Default 1998 honda accord cooling fan is not turning on and my car overheats.

Hello everyone. This is my first thread. I've been visiting this site for along time and have received valuable info but now i am stuck, grrr. My problem is very similar to others but have not found a fix. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1998 honda accord 4 cyl. vtec. 173,000 miles. My car has been over heating all the time. I noticed the cooling fans do not turn on. This has been going on for some time now. I first replaced the fan relay and the radiator cap, thermostat, and cooling fan switch. All were from autozone. I recently had a problem with 2 of their fuel pumps with my other car so I decided to replace the cooling fan switch and thermostat with honda genuine part. In addition to this I flushed the radiator, filled it with honda coolant and replaced the cooling fan relay and fan fuse. So, to sum everything up just recently I flushed the radiator, added new honda coolant, replaced the lower rad hose (the top had already been replaced), replaced the t-stat with honda part, replaced the cooling fan switch with honda part, replace cooling fan switch, replaced fan fuse, I jumped the plug to the cooling fan switch with a small wire with the key in the on position and the fans turn on. uh- the fans turn on with the a/c. i dont see any external leaks just when the coolant gets so hott it overflows the reservoir. the top rad hose is hott and the lower rad hose is hott but not as much. I am planning on changing the water pump when i do the belts and timing(i mean when i have a pro. do it). I appreciate any positive feed back . could my rad be bad? I replaced that about 2 years ago from star auto parts. oh the first time i replaced the t-stat i did noticed the fans would come on at times and other times when they should they didnot. thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure all of the air is out of the cooling system?

When it seems to overheat, if you shut it off does the one fan run?

Do you have a IFR temp reader?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM

hey poorman, how you doing? ive seen alot of your posts (very helpful). I believe most of the air is out, I did burp the system using the bleeder valve next to the t-stat. When I shut off the car the fan does not run. I do not have an infrared gun.

Here is new info that just happened this morning.
*** My son was driving the this morning with the weather around 43 degrees f. - 45 degrees f. he drove 10 mins before the temp began to rise past the half way mark and close to the redline hot. He turned on the heater to help cool the motor but it was too late. We had to pull over and as soon as we pulled over and stopped the top rad hose had slipped or was pushed off (however anyone wants to best describe it) from the nipple of the radiator. Yes, the top rad hose has the clamp on the hose. i released the pressure added water and opened the burp valve to let out all air then filled with more water. *I noticed that the top of the rad was cool, the reservoir was still full (not emptied), and the bottom rad hose was cool.* I dropped him off at work and make it back home with out over heating issues. I drove the entire way with the heater on and occasionally turning on the a/c to take advantage of the fans. when i got home i checked the hoses and the top rad hose was very hott and the lower rad hose was warm hott. I feel it could be a plugged radiator (which would be an easy fix) BUT im wondering why the fans wont kick on when the should or atleast sometimes. GRRRRR this is getting frustrating. Does anyone know if the 98 honda accord 4cyl. vtec. have a temp sending unit other than the Engine Coolant Temp. switch? Thank you

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

With the latest news, I'd check for a head gasket leak. Several ways of doing this.....I'm not going to suggest one over the other, do which ever you want.

Me, there is a simple test kit you can get from autozone for ~$35, it will test for exhaust gases in the coolant.....I think they call it a block check/test. EDIT: If you go to their site and search for "block test" you will see it, one part is the "tester" and then you need the "test fluid".

Last edited by poorman212; 04-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM

ok thanks poorman, this is the first ive heard of this. i will look into it but would that explain the temp in the rad hoses and why the fans wont turn on? just wondering.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn on the a/c, do both fans turn on?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

>>> Pahonda, yes both fans do come on when the a/c is turned on.

** heres another bit of info.. after i dropped off my son at work i pulled over to add more water. I squeezed both rad hoses and noticed the lower was hard. i burped the system and alot of air came out. when i got home i checked the hose again and it was soft (squeezable).

Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM

could a radiator cap do this ? that lil burger. grrr i hope not. it looks in good shape but i will replace it, its worth the try.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
When it seems to overheat, if you shut it off does the one fan run?
Poorman, beginning 1998, there is no function for the fan to run after shutting off the engine.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

You said the lower hose was hard; how about the upper? Upper and lower hoses should become soft & hard together. If not, then maybe it's a water-flow blockage in the radiator.

Quick Reply: 1998 honda accord cooling fan is not turning on and my car overheats.