General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Honda Accord EX clock backlight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 03:08 AM
IntegraGSR
Unregistered
Default 1998 Honda Accord EX clock backlight?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1998 Honda Accord EX, and I'm noticing a few problems and hoping that anyone in here can please give me ideas or help me how to solve them:

1) The interior clock does not have a backlight of some sort that I cannot see the time when driving at night.

2) The backlight for the climate control (cool - hot) does not light up, it's the one that has the blue and red label on the right control **** to adjust the temerature from cool to warm.

3) Whenever I select the airflow to blow on the windshield (i'm not sure what it is called), the A/C automatically turns on when I turn on the fan.

These are my issues, if anyone can help me, I will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Default RE: 1998 Honda Accord EX clock backlight?

It could be as simple as a couple of burned out bulbs. Have you checked them? The A/C turns on when you select windshield so it will defrost/defog the windshield, nothing wrong.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:39 PM
IntegraGSR
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

It could be as simple as a couple of burned out bulbs. Have you checked them? The A/C turns on when you select windshield so it will defrost/defog the windshield, nothing wrong.
Hi RTexasF,

Thanks for your response. I took the clock off the dash and opened it and there is a very small bulb (like the size of a LED) but I don't know how to remove the old bulb and replace it with a new one. Is this something that must be done at a Honda dealer? I hope not because I know they will kill you with the price of parts and labor. Speaking of lightbulbs, is it possible to get a colored lightbulb for the clock? I would love to have the blue colored illumination on my clock (just like those blue indiglo illumination on Timex watches) and dashboard to be blue just like the 86-97 accords... are those possible to do?

If you know the procedure to replace the lightbulb, could you please help me? Thanks...

Old 11-21-2004, 04:19 PM

I'm sorry but I don't have an answer for you. Hopefully others will chime in and assist. I would consider taking the clock to the Honda parts counter and asking about the led replacement. It sure can't hurt.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:58 PM

buy bulbs and paint them ghetto but usually works....

Old 12-01-2004, 12:10 AM

The clock pops out simply. Just don't rip it out and it'll be fine. Go to the dealership and the bubls are the the $3.00 range. Just let them know "Clock bulb for x year Accord, they should be in stock.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
GolfingTiger
Unregistered

I just replaced the bulb on the clock of my '98. It is simple to do and the bulb only cost around $2 from a Honda dealer.

Just take a flat head screwdriver and easily slide it under the clock and pry it up and out. As you turn the clock to look at the back of it, the bulb appears as a very small plastic screw in the lower left and corner of the clock. Just a quarter turn or so of the bulb with a small flat headed screw driver will have it pop right out. Just screw the new one and and replace the clock back in the dashboard and your all done.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 AM

thanks for the info the bulb cost $11 in Aust'

Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Take the bulb out and go to radio shack. Find one that is the same size. Don't waste your money at the dealership. Radio shack may have different colored ones too

Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
troyaj2
Unregistered
Default Fail

So clock backlight blew out as well and I went to radio shack to get an LED to replace it. I tried a lower voltage one as well as some of the higher ones they had. After blowing both of those I remembered I had a volt meter and hooked that up and then realized that I had been trying to hook up 3 and 4 volt LED's up to something that had a 28 volt connection according to my volt meter. Then I found this thread and saw that people found the right LED at the dealer.

Quick Reply: 1998 Honda Accord EX clock backlight?