General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3/Condenser Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3/Condenser Manual

So I'm going to remove the condenser since the mechanic said there were some leaks by the left drivers side of the condenser. He quoted me $325 to evac the system, put more freon in and replace the seals. But it is not guaranteed that it will fix the problem...

I'm pretty sure (85%) that my condenser is bad. Compressor seems fine. So I want to install the condenser myself. I found a pretty good condenser for about $65 (Reputable Company). I would hate to pay $325 at the shop and it not even fix the problem.

I'm sure many of you have heard this question countless times. But what else should I replace while changing the condenser? I looked everywhere for a DIY guide on this website. But no where can I find it. I hate when other people touch my car. It's either me or my mechanic (who refereed me to this guy since he doesn't work with A/C components).

Please help guys!

-Heepohonda

Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the equipment to do an a/c repair? You will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system when you are ready to recharge and a manifold to measure the pressure of the high and low side of the system.

You shouldn't allow R134a to escape into the atmosphere. The a/c shop should remove the R134a and give you a receipt for what they removed.

When I had my system apart to replace a damaged condenser, I replaced everything that could possibly be bad, since I didn't want to tear it apart again and ensure that it would last for a long time without having to repair it.

I replaced all of the o-rings (in the engine compartment, and in the evaporator box), the expansion valve, and the receiver drier. I replaced my shaft seal on the compressor and the large o-rings that hold it together, because shaft seals can fail over time. I might have spent around $350 on everything, but I haven't had an a/c problem since (~3 years ago).