General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord LX Subframe Rotted Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Default 1998 Honda Accord LX Subframe Rotted Out

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX with 104,000 K, well I heard creaking and thought Oh something is wrong with the ball joint - wrong, THE WHOLE SUBFRAME (front) is rotted out, rusted beyond anything else in that car or any car I've owned. Not only that it has actually broken in two places. I bought the car last year in August from a Honda Dealer - both est I got stated that either the frame was a) already rotting when bought and should of been caught by the dealer or b)replaced w/ a salvage - it is NOT on the carfax. Has anyone else had issues with there subframe rotting so early - it's been garaged since I owned it, no car accidents (no minor ones since I've owned it) and no other apparent reason. I have owned a 1997 Honda Civic and 1987 Honda Civic before this an neither have had any subframe issues.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I never read anything like that on these forums.

Hind sight is always 20/20, but always get a buyer's inspection done somewhere other than the place you are buying the car. Some places do not report that information to CarFax, so you can't rely on just the carfax.

Is that subframe bolted or welded in place?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Thats the odd thing some parts bolted, some parts welded which both places noted. Next time I buy dealer I'm going to do that - my best thought than was well it's a Certified Honda Dealer and they did other matience work since as timing belt etc. And yes, I made the sale person more than aware that not all Carfaxable work ends up at Carfax. I am probably going to take it an other Honda Dealer to see what they say because it really isn't sitting right with me that it went this soon.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

I understand. I don't know how bad of a repair you are looking at.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 AM

That is a rare case there, i worked on many Hondas/Acuras, usually they have issue with rust on the rear fenders. Maybe the people that owned it before you don't wash trhe underside of the car especially in the winter time, where they used heavy salt on the road, it stick to the underside of the car and if they don't wash it, it will get rusty quick. You can get a good used subframe and have some one to put it in for you. I know Nissan Maxima pre 99 have problem with rotted out front radiator support too.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM

The car is going to retired it was in a flood and never reported. Now to fight with Weymouth Honda because it was sold like this, there is rust in the door hinges...

Old 07-17-2011, 02:16 PM

It should have been pre-inspected before they sold the car out, especially at Honda dealer not at an auction.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Default Mine is rusted too

Mine is still intack but I picked up a mint one from the auto wrecker for $100.00. My rack is also leaking so i can kill two birds with one stone. I think I found the cause for the rust. My A/C drain on the passenger side drips into a hole on top of the subframe. There is a drain hole on the bottom of the sub frame but mayby mine was plugged. I will silcone the top hole so water can't dip in there anymore. And yes the sub frame is bolted to the car in two pcs. Looks like a day job.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM

I have a 98 accord DX with 174,000 miles. Just discovered the same problem. The passenger side right behind the wheel assembly. I bought the car 2 years ago with 155,000 miles on it from the Dealer.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Mine literally is the same way I NEVER thought of that... honestly something HONDA should pay for, the car has been driven over 10,000 without issue so its really odd how it's such a 'big' issue.

Quick Reply: 1998 Honda Accord LX Subframe Rotted Out