General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Default 1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side

Hello,

I have some oil leakage when I accelerate fast, if I don't punch it everything is fine. I read this thread

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...passenger+side

and changed the o-ring.

I am still having the oil leakage. here are some pictures. What else should I check?

Here are more pictures

http://www.mypicx.com/08042009/accord_98/

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img635.jpg   1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img636.jpg   1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img637.jpg   1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img638.jpg   1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img639.jpg  

Last edited by sanchdaniel; 08-04-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: more pictures
Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM

I've been working with deserthonda to figure out what the matter is.
I still have a leak and I have replaced the O-ring and Valve cover gasket.
A new problem has come up too. When I accelarate the car, it wobbles side to side. But if I let go of the gas and put it on neutral the wobbleing stops. The faster I accelarate the more it wobbles.

Originally Posted by deserthonda
Originally Posted by sanchdaniel
Hello,

Could you bring some attention to my latest post please. I need the help.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27156

it looks as if leaking from the distr o-ring,, rt side valve cover gasket?? .i would replace the distr o-ring first , it is cheaper about 3 dollars from dealer,, before you remove the distr get a magic marker and scribe a line on it and the where it mounts, so u can reposition it on the same place

Thanks for you help.

I have changed the o-ring. It still leaks. I've gone to buy the valve gasket and will put it on today. Any other idea what it might be?
it is really hard to try to locate a leak over the internet and honestly you should not start replacing parts till you know for sure what the problem is,, You might want to clean up the area real good then start the car and let it run for a while ,see if you can notice where it is leaking from for sure ,,,,,,,,I would hate for you to spend money and do work at no results ..
Thanks for your help, i'll follow your advise. Is it alright if I come back to you if I get stuck?

Thanks again.
it might be better to post this in the gen tech area , there are more people available to help you and you will get faster replies , at times i do not log on to the forum for a while depending on my schedule ...

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

What about leaking from underneath the camshaft bearing cap?
In the picture, the bearing caps don't have part #s, but look at the distributor end, near labels #14 & 20. That bearing cap extends out of the VC gasket. Sealant is supposed to be used between that cap & the head.

Clean it up & watch to see exactly where it leaks. This leak I mentioned will come out of a horizontal split line just centered on the distributor opening. Your photos sorta look like it's dirty below that line, & cleaner above it.

If you decide to re-seal that bearing cap, find a manual & look up the bolt torque. Don't pull the threads out of the head casting... Actually, if you have to do that, I think you'll need to dismantle at least part of the valve gear.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What about leaking from underneath the camshaft bearing cap?
In the picture, the bearing caps don't have part #s, but look at the distributor end, near labels #14 & 20. That bearing cap extends out of the VC gasket. Sealant is supposed to be used between that cap & the head.

Clean it up & watch to see exactly where it leaks. This leak I mentioned will come out of a horizontal split line just centered on the distributor opening. Your photos sorta look like it's dirty below that line, & cleaner above it.

If you decide to re-seal that bearing cap, find a manual & look up the bolt torque. Don't pull the threads out of the head casting... Actually, if you have to do that, I think you'll need to dismantle at least part of the valve gear.

Could you circle the area you are talking about, in my pics or your diagram, please. I just want to make sure I know what area you're talking about.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default possible oil leak location

I made the last bearing cap green. The red is where it bolts down to the head. That red surface should have sealant when you assemble. If not, oil can leak out from the horizontal split line between those 2 parts, where I highlighted your photo.

Remember, I'm just speculating one possible place for the leakage. You have to clean up the engine & verify it's really leaking from there. It's a big-ish job to remove the valve gear & last bearing cap, so you don't want to disturb that stuff until you know that's where its leaking.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-head.jpg   1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side-img637.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Default The wobble

Does any one have an idea what the side wobble might be?
I've taken it to two mechanics so far with no luck.

FYI- I have not washed the engine yet, so the leak problem is still unresolved.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Does any one have an idea what the side wobble might be?
I've taken it to two mechanics so far with no luck.

have you checked the tires ??inner broken ply?? frt suspension parts loose? worn ?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM

have you checked the tires ??inner broken ply?? frt suspension parts loose? worn ?
I did check the tires, still could not figure it out. So, I took it to one shop, they told me to change the two front tires because they were warn. I did that and got an alignmnet. Still wobbles. I took it to another shop, Firestone, they told me they think I need to replace the Outer Tie tod end and the left CV Axel, plus the rotor. I've bought both and now im broke.

I will have to wait till this weekend to clean out the engine and change those parts. Even after all this, I am still not sure if my wobble will go away. Since the Firestone guy told me he is not 100 % sure that is what is cause the wobble.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

At the tire place I went to, they would take you into the garage and show you what is wrong before repairing.

What the tech did was push and pull the tire at 9/3 o'clock to see if there was any play to indicate a tie-rod problem (could be inner or outer). At 12/6 o'clock was for upper and lower ball joints.

Put your car on jack stands and turn the steering wheel until its locked. You may not find any play, but its something simple to try.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Fixed wobble, it it was either:

Tie Rod End Outer, Driver Side Axel, or the Lower Driver Side Ball Joint.

Either way I replaced all 3 plus the brake rotor and now it runs butter smooth.
I'm getting some simple green and cleaning out the whole engine bay. Hopefully cleaning the bay will let me know where the oil is leaking from.

Quick Reply: 1998 Oil Leakage Passanger Side