General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord - Check Engine Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Default 1999 Accord - Check Engine Light ON

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is just due to the gas cap not closed correctly. Because the light came ON around same time when I filled gas up in my car. I know I can take my car to AutoZone and they run the Engine Diagnostic check for free if the light is ON. Is there a code for the gas cap? I'm guessing not. Is there any way to make sure if it's just the gas cap that's causing this?

Your help is greatly appreciated. [sm=smiley32.gif]

HondaAccordForum ROCKS!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Default RE: 1999 Accord - Check Engine Light ON

yeah, p1456 means the gas cap is loose or was loose 95% of the time.

p1457 = evap code of DEATH

Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll stop at AutoZone tomorrow and try to get the code.

If it is p1456 ... then how can I turn the light off on my own?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 AM

well, tell the guy to clear the code(if he can).

open the fuel door. check the gas cap - remove it. is the seal on the gas cap ok? if so, reinstall it tightening to at least 3 clicks.

we get ppl with loose gas caps every day. some are stolen, lost, forgotten..

Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Many codes will clear themselves if the problem is fixed. You also may have a leak in several other places but as metioned, the cap is very common, if you change it, make it OEM only.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Hi All.

Thanks for all ur replies. But looks like it's a different code all together. P1607 - ECM/PCM Internal Circuit Failure ...

So any idea what exactly is the problem? I mean is it something that needs to be serviced or replaced? Is it something that involves great skills to fix or replace? Is going to the mechanic a better idea? Last but not the least .. how much approximately this would pinch my wallet?

Thanks in advance ...

Old 12-08-2007, 09:13 PM

well, this code is simply a 'Replace the PCM' code. you don't need to take it anywhere.

first - clear the code.
next - turn the key on for about 30 seconds. does it recode? if not, turn the key off, and wait about 10 seconds. if it doesn't recodeit could have been caused by low battery voltage. if it recodes,
you need a new pcm.

it's caused by a memory fault or if the cpu looses signal from the back-up cpu for 24 seconds or key off 5 seconds.

a new pcm = $600 on average?

you need to take it to the dealer if you opt to replace it on your own to reprogram the immobilizer system - usually a cost of $30 (or .3 to .5 labor)

Old 12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: indy49

Hi All.

Thanks for all ur replies. But looks like it's a different code all together. P1607 - ECM/PCM Internal Circuit Failure ...
I've had 2 of these in the last month, buth cars had weak batteries. I think a low voltage condition can cause the ecus check routine to get screwed up. Niether car has recoded.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for replying to my post so far. Hope to get more replies after this ... :-)

Here is what I've been testing/observing about this issue on my car.

1. I disconnected the battery to clear the code. When I reconnected the battery again ... engine light was gone. It did not come back for almost couple of weeks.

2. I got the battery replaced ... it was still under warranty. As the battery was running at half it's power they replaced it free of cost. This of course got rid of the code and the engine light. But it came back on after couple of weeks again.

I noticed that whenever it's very cold outside and the engine struggles to start up .. that's when the engine light comes back on with the P1607 code.

3. I took the car to the dealer today .. and he gave me a 1230$ + tax quote. ECM part ($1100) and 130$ for labor and re-coding etc.

I found some online stores that sell re-furbished ECMs .. like autoecms dot com. http://www.autoecms.com/parts/Detail...d=product_name.

What do u guys suggest about buying from them and getting the part fixed at my dealer. Is that a good idea?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM

well, it's up to you. it's a risk and the dealer will most likely offer no warranty on it.

Quick Reply: 1999 Accord - Check Engine Light ON