General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb

Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Default 1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb

Hi

Is this a relatively straightforward task?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coupe requires front bumper cover removal. More a PIA than difficult as there are quite a number of plastic fasteners (11) and some are sure to fail during removal. Better to order some replacements ahead of time from ebay.

Once cover is off headlight lens is removed by removing 5 bolts.

Manual does not say anything about replacing just the bulb, so I assumed you wanted to remove the lens assy. It might be possible to replace the bulb w/o removing the lens assy.

good luck

Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Hi TH. Just need the dipped beam bulb change.

After two hours of swearing and thinking "going to the dealers first thing" managed to get the darn thing out. Requires undoing three screws, two of which are a pig to get to (not mentioned in a youtube how to clip!) And then turning the bulb assembly out. relatively straightforward with the right tools.

Sadly the supplier has provided the wrong bulb anyway(!) so all back in, and another go tomorrow

Old 12-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Changing the headlight bulb doesn't require bumper cover removal, removal of any bolt or screws, or tools.

Here are the instructions from the owner's manual. If "necessary" depending on which bulb and 4 or 6 cylinder, usually the coolant reservoir can just be pulled up off it's bracket by hand after the cap is removed. The air intake duct (for 4 cylinders) can also be pulled up by hand.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb-changing-headlight-bulb.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Just noticed, you're in the U.K., I don't know whether U.K. model Accord have different headlight bulbs retainers, etc. than U.S. versions.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks again guys. It would seem that you need wrists and hands the size of a 12 year old but the strength of Mike Tyson if you want to remove the bulbs without loosening the screws! Did seem to make it all so much easier when I did that.

Fair point regarding US/UK difference.

Would anyone one here be able to give me an example of a US dipped beam headlight bulb for this model and I'll compare it with the one I bought and the one that is in the car. The one in the car seems permanently attached to a plastic socket with a 90 degree angle on. Whether you need to twist the bulb out of this I'm not sure.

But the actual bulb itself still looks different from the one supplied. Might just pick a couple of decent ones up from the main dealer.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

In the U.S. the low-beam (dipped) bulb is a 9006. You can find various images on the web to compare with what you received.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Your 1999 U.K. Accord appears to use H7 bulbs for low beams. Generally with H7 bulbs; after the rubber cover is removed/pulled off (see attached image for rubber cover), then you would squeeze a metal retainer clip so the bulb can be removed from the headlight assembly.

This other pic. is showing the metal retaining clip on another another make and model vehicle using H7 bulbs. bulbs.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb-1999-uk-accord-headlight.jpg   1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb-fv-cars-clk-bulb-6x100.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 04:16 PM

Redbull thanks for that. Would appear though that mine is the twist out type, the same as in the USA though. I wonder if that 1999 UK Accord you've illustrated is the UK Saloon, which is a totally different beast to the Coupe of the same year?

Whats interesting though, is that its clear the seller has given me part 9 from your diagram, of which is the high beam. Its a smaller bulb than the dipped beam. The Dipped beam is quite a large bulb with a coating on. The Coupe is a pretty rare car in the UK and its possible the seller has simply lumped the saloon in with the coupe, even though they are very different.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM

All sorted...the dipped beam is exactly the same as the US Version in the form of the 9006.

Lessons learned? Never go to Halfords for a car that is rare or has a 'sister' model which confuses their stocklists.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Accord Coupe replace front headlight bulb