General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 accord engine warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Default 1999 accord engine warning light

Hey everyone, any bright ideas what parts need to be replaced or how to fix this?
I got engine fault light turned on in my 1999 accord 2.0 and it gave me 5 different obd codes!

-P0500
-P1166
-P1167
-P0141
-P0443

This is first time i have problems with engine light with this car and im puzzled of the amount of obd codes. Codes must be related to others since they came at the same time, right?
But then again i know first code is something about speed sensor and others are different.
Symphtoms i have are speedometer not working, kilometre counter not working, cruise control not working and idling is very low, engine barely runs when idling.

Thanks for the help before hand

Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Is this an auto or manual trans? Also being a 2.0 engine I'll guess you are not in North America?

The p0500 is pointing towards something is the Speed Sensor, tired to the reason you are not getting anything from the speedometer or odometer. Testing will be needed.

The next three (1166, 1167 and 0141) are all related to something in the O2 Sensor circuit. Again testing that out will be needed.

The last one (p0443), I can't find in my documents

Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Is this an auto or manual trans? Also being a 2.0 engine I'll guess you are not in North America?

The p0500 is pointing towards something is the Speed Sensor, tired to the reason you are not getting anything from the speedometer or odometer. Testing will be needed.

The next three (1166, 1167 and 0141) are all related to something in the O2 Sensor circuit. Again testing that out will be needed.

The last one (p0443), I can't find in my documents
Honda 4D ACCORD 2.0-CG95/268 with F20B6 engine and manual trans. Im from Europe, Finland.

After searching a lot from internet i found all of those codes now.

P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P1166 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Heater Circuit Malfunction
P1167 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Heater System Malfunction
P0141 - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank
P0443 - EVAP Canister Purge Valve Circuit Malfunction

But still doesnt ring a bell that much for me except first problem probably solves by changing the speed sensor. But for others could intake leak also cause some of those? any leads would be appreciated. I rather not change expensive parts for nothing. If this cannot be solved this way then i maybe have to go to the repair shop for diagnoses, sucks to be poor (and didnt mean your nickname by that), lol.

Last edited by accordd89; 08-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I've been called a lot of things, calling me "poor"....that is what I am, being such I've had to learn all kinds of things because I can't pay for someone else to fix it.

Testing is key to almost any repair on these things, just replacing parts get expensive quickly....example, this could be as simple as a blown fuse....on the NA versions and certain trim levels the #6 drivers under dash fuse controls most if not all of the items you have listed, there are a few more that you did not mention so I can't be sure.

Do you have a volt meter where you can measure voltage on a few wires? Again I will be using a NA based repair/testing procedure so some things might not line up. Example, disconnect the harness to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and turn the key to "on"/run position, the Black/Yellow wire should have battery voltage....if it does not then you need to trace that wire back to figure out why it does not.

For us in NA, volt meters and automotive parts are pretty cheap.....I can get a simple volt meter for ~$6

Old 08-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Ok. Thanks for your advices. I will be looking for those and try to figure this out. Maybe i will then post again how things turns out to be.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I looked are the circuit diagram a little more, try this for me. Turn the key to on....where it would be as you are driving down the road, does the battery/charge/alternator light come on? Again, that fuse I spoke of controls that light - supplies power, so if that light is NOT coming on.....I'm back to a fuse issue, especially since all of "the issues" happened at once.

And I forgot one thing......thanks for joining HAF

Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I looked are the circuit diagram a little more, try this for me. Turn the key to on....where it would be as you are driving down the road, does the battery/charge/alternator light come on? Again, that fuse I spoke of controls that light - supplies power, so if that light is NOT coming on.....I'm back to a fuse issue, especially since all of "the issues" happened at once.

And I forgot one thing......thanks for joining HAF
Thanks a lot for all the help you gave to me. My car is now working perfectly.
Indeed, battery light didnt came on when i turned the ignition on.
The problem was one of fuses in engine control module. I changed that fuse and every problem i had is gone now. Engine warning light have also stayed away after resetting it.

Without your advises i would have probably ended up replacing sensors for nothing so a big thank you for you. Saved me lot of money

Old 08-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it going and we could help. Plus is was a "cheap" fix....I like those

Keep an eye on it just to be sure, the fuse blew because "something" grounded/shorted or drew too many amps. I hope it was just a "fluke" and will not come back.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:05 AM

Any chance you are familiar with cause of 'P0443 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit' as seen on this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...45/#post388986?
Is it purely circuit of the Canister Purge Valve, or could it be other items like gas cap, fuses, pressure/vacuum leak?

Old 01-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've got the 1998-2002 Helm shop manual (for 4-cyl) and that code isn't in the list... ? That includes the F23A1, F23A4, and F23A5 engines.

oops - edit:
That thread is about 7th-gen Accords, this thread is about 1999. Assuming the description is correct for P0443, it sounds to me like you need to look at either the circuit (including fuse) or the purge control valve itself. There would be different codes for things like gas cap or fuel-tank pressure.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-19-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 1999 accord engine warning light