General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord stalling, but restarting by itself

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Default 1999 Accord stalling, but restarting by itself

I have a 99 Accord LX 4CYL, AT, not in CA. (hope this covers it). It's got about 175K on it. A few months ago I was sitting idle and all of a sudden the car died. I thought I might have bumped the key with my knee or something because it started right back up and didn't have any problems. Anyway, since then at seemingly random times while driving the car will cut out for a second or so, when I'm driving on the highway it will automatically start back up. No check engine light or anything like that. It may happen three times in one day and then not again for a couple of weeks. When the car stalls, the only light that seems to always be on is the key light, others are sometimes on and sometimes off.
Two days ago I was driving in a parking lot in the rain and it completely stalled. I could not restart it while driving (pos 2 to 3), but as soon as I stopped and turned it off (position 1) and back on, it started back up with no problem. It is not running rough or anything like that.
I was trying to recall if every other time it died if it was raining, but I can not recall (live in FL so it rains a lot).
Until a couple of days ago, if it stopped then it would always restart within a second or two (without me touching the key or anything).

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Ok, so as an update. It stalled again during lunch. It is not raining, nor has it rained this morning. It was acting fine. I was in a parking lot. I stopped to let some people cross, and it instantly died. I had to put it in park, turn it all off and then it started back with no problems.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alot has been talked about the ignition switch failure and recalls for it. check to see if you're car is on the list at your local honda dealership

Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM

I thought about the ignition switch too. I actually took it to the dealer and had it replaced under the recall. When it has died I tried jiggling the key but no luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks for that one though

It was replaced *after* the stalling problem started.

Last edited by renystro; 07-25-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: revision
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

How old are the normal tuneup items, like the spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, and air filter? What brand of spark plugs are installed?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 AM

PAhonda,
I will give you the normal tuneup items are well past their due date, the spark plugs are OEM (not original plugs though). The air filter is not that old, maybe 5K.
You think the solution could be as easy as that?
If I replace the plugs, is there a better brand to go with that ppl here prefer?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm sticking with the ignition switch, another slight possibility is the Main Relay. If you're not familiar with inspecting them, have a qualified mechanic look at it (takes 1 minute to remove and inspect), or you could purchase one for about $40 dollars and just swap it out to do a process of elimination. I have a detailed PDF on inspection and replacement of ignition switch describing all symptoms of a failing or failed part. send me your email if you would like it.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

No luck wiggling the key, but try this...

Start the engine but then don't completely let go of the key.
Let the key spring back only enough so the starter motor quits running. You'll be holding the key just barely away from the normal running position.

Can you keep it running like that?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
No luck wiggling the key, but try this...

Start the engine but then don't completely let go of the key.
Let the key spring back only enough so the starter motor quits running. You'll be holding the key just barely away from the normal running position.

Can you keep it running like that?
I tried this today and the engine did not stop. I started it and then barely let the key return, the AC did not come on, but the engine was running fine. I held it there for several seconds and it did not have any problems. I released the key and it returned to position 2, and the AC kicked on.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by renystro
PAhonda,
I will give you the normal tuneup items are well past their due date, the spark plugs are OEM (not original plugs though). The air filter is not that old, maybe 5K.
You think the solution could be as easy as that?
If I replace the plugs, is there a better brand to go with that ppl here prefer?
If the tune up items are due I'd want to take them out of the equation.

So get a new cap, rotor and plugs. I suggest NGK plugs but that is me. When the old cap and rotor are off, look real good at the wires and connections inside the dist.

Quick Reply: 1999 Accord stalling, but restarting by itself