General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Honda Accord Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Default 1999 Honda Accord Accessories

Hi
Brand new to the site and need some help. I have a 1999 Honda Accord sedan 4 door 4 cyclinder car. I just had some work done on the car this past weekend. Tuneup which entailed sparkplugs, distributor cap, wires, transmission flush. I had had the timing belt done 20,000 miles ago along. The car has 129,000 miles on it now. This morning driving to work the car ran good however, the console where the a/c, heat, is controled was not lit. I kept pushing the buttons nothing I could turn the fan on but could not see if the the a/c was on or not. When I hit the highway all of a sudden they came on. Now the car is in a garage all night and I am located in Florida so I am assuming its not the cold. Is there something I can do or look at before something major happens??
Thank you in advance for your help
Shirley

Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Anyone have any ideas. I have search the internet its the lcd where the climate controls are. I contacted the repairman and will take it in tomorrow however he said what he did has nothing to do with the problem. I told him he might have shorten out something when he was working on it as it was perfect before the work was done.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Performing a tuneup would not damage the LCD inside of your car.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM

hey did you find a solution to your problem? my car just did the same thing...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Hi
Just got back from the Service Center. He checked the fuses (they were good) check the wiring schematic and told me if there was a problem with that the radio and clock would not work. Not the alternator either. He thinks its the AC Control Unit especially since what happened last night. When I got in the car the climate control blinked off and on a few times before it stayed on steady. I checked with our company tech and he looked at the car and said the first repairperson is probably right. So I asked how much?? $432.00 which includes tax and labor. Its just weird that this happened after I had all that work done on the car. I hope he is right don't know what else it could be. I told him I would bring the car in Saturday as I want to check around the internet to see if he is installing the right part.
Shirl

Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's strange, but it doesn't seem like any tune-up work can cause it. They wouldn't have really had any reason to dig into the dashboard... right??

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM

At First Jim that is exactly what I thought he would have no business digging in the dashboard. But I thought it might be a electrical plug or twisted wire that he had caused. I called another dealer to check the pricing of the unit and they want even more $440. Guess I will bite the bullet and cough up the money. thank you for your help
Shirl

Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Fuses are good, he checked (right?)
Any wiring harnesses he would have pushed around in the engine bay, those are really pretty robust.

Doesn't really make sense for a mechanic to go rooting around in the dashboard for fun - if he doesn't have to.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi Jim
Yes he checked the fuses I was watching him. Then he show me the manual on the wiring on the Honda. He told me if it was a bad fuse the clock would not work (and it does work) swears he never went near the dashboard. I guess I was just parnoid about it after spending $600 for maintenance. thanks again

Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Before you replace that unit, read this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...d=1#post196443

It is worth a shot.

Quick Reply: 1999 Honda Accord Accessories