General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 honda Accord Cruise control problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
silver1999accord
Unregistered
Default 1999 honda Accord Cruise control problems

So I have a problem with my 1999 accord teh cruise light doesn't light up any more nor does the cruise work; the fuse is ok where else do I start to look?

Any info would be great!

TIA

Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Default Silver1999accord; 1999 Honda Accord Cruise control problems

“have a problem with my 1999 accord cruise light doesn't light up any more nor does the cruise work; the fuse is ok where else do I start to look?”
Begin with system diagram, which lists components and interconnection between systems, do a system trace, becoime familiar with system, then a second step is to find a wiring diagram, then trace any fault from switch (cruise control) back to fuse, etc. Most likely it may lay in Electronic Control Module, or another system device. If you have access to system tester, find fault code. Regards

Richard

Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Do your brake lights work properly? Are they on at all times?

Is the check engine light coming on while the car is driving? If so, have the code(s) read at autozone and post the code on here.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
silver1999accord
Unregistered

Lights all work; no check engine light either...
Will check the wiring diagram...
could it be a relay; that would be simply lol; where are they under the hood?

tia DAVE

Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey im having the same problem in my car wanted to know if you got it fixed and how maybe our solution is similar.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

^^I'm having the same issue too, any update?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, I'm diving head-first into this cruise control problem...

First, I checked the fuse(s), everything looks good.

I moved onto the switch on the left side of the steering wheel. No lights come on, but it appears that its functional when I put a voltmeter up to it.

I tested the actuator as per the service manual. The instructions were vague; I didn't hear the motor but I did hear some clicking when I applied the jumpers to the unit. Does this mean its working or not?

I'm going to the junk yard this week and getting a new switch (just to rule that out). Stay tuned...

Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have the same problem on my accord. I seem to remember someone telling me there is a $15 switch down by the brake pedal somewhere that causes this. Does anyone know about this?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the brake light switch (at the brake pedal) will disengage the cruise control. It's certainly not the ONLY possible thing to cause the problem, but it deserves checking.

If that switch is stuck, you'll have 2 problems together... no cruise control, and your brake lamps will be on all the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen where an improper adjustment will cause one side of the circut to close (brake lights off) and the "other" side not (cruise) so it is worth testing. Of course we are not sure what year you have. Might be the same as the OP but not stated.

Then if a manual trans there is another switch involved.

Quick Reply: 1999 honda Accord Cruise control problems