General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Unhappy 1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working

While driving my 1999 Honda Accord EX, the brake light switch at the pedal broke. As a result the cruise control stopped working immediately and also, even after stopping the car, the back lights remained on. So I got the brake switch replaced. The back lights are working properly but cruise control still is not working. I checked the fuses, they are okay. Any help guidance, instructions with diagrams/pictures will be highly appreciated.

Thank you and have a very blessed day!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure the "new" switch is installed properly - if not installed properly the brake lights will work but the cruise will not......have a volt meter to check?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Poorman212, thank you so much for your response.

At the driver seat, under the dash board on left, a little plastic piece (a round head and a little over half inch long) was inserted in the hole that is located the body connected to the brake pedal. This is what I meant by brake switch replacement.. I hope you understand what I am talking about?

Now, if we are talking about the same thing, then please explain what do not mean when you say: "Be sure the "new" switch is installed properly - if not installed properly the brake lights will work but the cruise will not......have a volt meter to check?"

Please help! Thanks for everything!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, now it sounds like you replaced the little stopper - this is a "plug" that the actual switch presses against to "colse".....was the old one in pieces and blue in color....brake lights on even though the pedal was not being pressed.

From here, need to know if this is a 4 cyl, 6 cyl - 2dr vs 4 door.

Either way, the true switch has four pins on it. When the pedal is "at rest" - not pushing on it - two pins should have continuity, then when you press on the pedal, the other two pins will have continuity.........this pic may or may not be exact for your car but should give you the idea.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working-6th-gen-brake-switch-test2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

And to add, in one of your many other threads about this, you stated that the "shop" used something they had laying around in the shop to replace the "stopper".....which tells me the switch is now out of adjustment.....their fix took care of one side of the switch - brake lights - but not the other side - cruise control.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Thank you so much!

I am very convinced that you have got it right, "which tells me the switch is now out of adjustment.....their fix took care of one side of the switch - brake lights - but not the other side." This is what I believe. However, I just don't know what to do? Because when I asked the guy at a Discount Auto Parts to give me the correct part (brake pedal plug) which is made for 1999 Honda accord EX, 6 cylinder, 4 dr sedan, he said, it does not matter; it is just a plug.. Any plug will do that fits in it. The explanation seemed right in my mind, but I am not sure if it meets all of its functions.

You seem to have a good handle on it, and as I receive it the Lord God has brought this before you for my rescue. Please tell me what must I do, and explain in detail since I am not as sharp in auto problems. Please know that I am very thankful for your responses that are filled with utter selfless service.

Thanks again. Have a very blessed day

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Me I'd go to the delaer and get the proper plug, maybe $2.50 (OE part #46505-SA5-000) for the part and you can install it in 5 min......3 of which will be removing "what ever" they put in there, that is a guess as we have no idea what they really did.

If not your next option is to adjust the brake switch to the "new proper" position. You'll need a volt meter to check the pins for continuity when the brake is pressed and not pressed - four pins....two closed in one position of the pedal and two closed in the other.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working-6th-gen-brake-switch-adjust.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

To add, I bet they found pieces in the floor board looking like this.....I often ask people if they found a "blue crayon" piece on the floor as the pointed piece is about that size.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working-pedal-plug-broken.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 09-17-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM

You are right.. this is what I found on the floor next to brake pedal. So now, the first thing first. I will get this part (brake pedal plug) from the dealer and install it and then see if the problem is resolved. If not, then I will try to adjust the brake switch to the ‘new proper’ position as per your instructions and let you know the result.

I am very thankful for you help, forever!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just so we are clear, I'm making an assumption here....cruise was working, pedal plug broke, replaced plug with something and now the crusie does not work.

I hope the shop didn't try to adjust the switch and just stuck something in there. IF so, then the new OE plug being of the proper size and "thickness/height" as the old OE plug....should be problem solved.

Just want to be sure you know this, I hate to suggest that someone spends money on something on a guess of mine.

Then, all of the members on here want to help, one of the reasons I stuck around a few years ago....a much better place to get good help and not a lot of the other stuff you might find on other forums...so if you "thank me", then I must "thank" ALL of the other members on here as well

Please let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 1999 Honda Accord EX -- Cruise control is not working