General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord 2.0L engine oil capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 AM
Default 2000 accord 2.0L engine oil capacity

hello
just wondered how is it possible, according to the manual, that when you drain the engine oil there's over than 1L of oil remaining in the engine. (5.6L total, 4.3L at change).

i drained my oil after the car was parking for 3 days and without warming up the engine, as opposed to what the manual says. so in this case could it be that i'll have to refill 5.6L?

thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

No, the engine takes 4.3, simple as that. If there was more in the engine, then it was over filled.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I normally rotate my tires while the oil is draining, and I usually get a little bit more than the oil-change spec amount. Seems like the difference between a dry fill and the oil change is oil pooled in places that just trap the oil (like structural ribs in the head which you can see by removing the valve cover). With the engine warmed up the oil is much more watery and drains quicker, but doesn't drain these areas.

Tilting the car this way & that during wheel rotation drains a little more of that, but certainly not all of it. You'll also have the oil pump volume which probably doesn't drain.

The real answer is to trust the dipstick level after you're done with your oil change.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eran Teitelbaum
hello
just wondered how is it possible, according to the manual, that when you drain the engine oil there's over than 1L of oil remaining in the engine. (5.6L total, 4.3L at change).

i drained my oil after the car was parking for 3 days and without warming up the engine, as opposed to what the manual says. so in this case could it be that i'll have to refill 5.6L?

thanks
Rereading your original post...

Am I reading it correctly you believe your Owner's Manual indicates the total oil capacity is 5.6 liters? I just checked the manual for my 2001 Accord and it clearly states 4.5 quarts/4.3 liters for the 4-cylinder models; no where does it indicate there might be as much as an additional liter of oil in the engine.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

If I remember in my case the larger number for a dry-fill came from the more extensive specifications in the shop manual. The context is the total amount of oil needed after rebuilding the engine.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If I remember in my case the larger number for a dry-fill came from the more extensive specifications in the shop manual. The context is the total amount of oil needed after rebuilding the engine.
Agreed, but I have never seen a delta of more than a few ounces between a new engine and a standard oil/filter change.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

I just found it in the 1998-2002 Helm book.

At any rate, if you have the car warmed up or not, even if you let it sit and drain for a week, you aren't going to get close to the rebuild capacity.

Always go by the dipstick level when you're finished with whatever job you're doing.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 accord 2.0L engine oil capacity-f23a1-lubrication-specs.png  

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-19-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, good stuff. I've never seen an engine which held 1.4 quarts out of the oil pan. Yeesh, where does that engine keep it all?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know - haven't rebuilt THAT engine.

You can see a lot of puddles of oil below the camshaft when you take off the valve cover, but that seems like maybe only 250 cc. Judging by the parts drawings, I bet there's quite a bit that doesn't drain out of the oil pump.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't know - haven't rebuilt THAT engine.

You can see a lot of puddles of oil below the camshaft when you take off the valve cover, but that seems like maybe only 250 cc. Judging by the parts drawings, I bet there's quite a bit that doesn't drain out of the oil pump.
Agreed, but I'm thinking even the largest positive displacement oil pump I've ever seen might hold maybe 100ccs, max; that leaves a whole lot of oil unaccounted for.

Quick Reply: 2000 accord 2.0L engine oil capacity