General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord Auto. Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
SmokeyBear
Unregistered
Default 2000 Accord Auto. Transmission

As my sig says, it's my wife's car. Some time ago I was on this forum looking for this information. I've a) forgotten most of it and b) can't find it. The bottom line is this car is on it's third transmission - all under warrantee - and I'm afraid it may be needing a fourth. It has 77K miles.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Do I have an issue with Honda?

My wife really likes the car, it really isn't very old, and I'd rather not get rid of it. But this transmission problem can be a stinker!

One more of-topic question. How do I do a search? I'm familiar with it on Miata.net, but can't find a search function here.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Default RE: 2000 Accord Auto. Transmission

There have been many automatic transmission problems on this generation of Accord, but my understanding is that it is mostly with the V6 engine. You got the second and third transmissions from Honda under warranty? Hopefully they’ll continue to replace it for you. I also have a 2000 Accord 4 cylinder automatic with 98k miles and haven’t had any problems yet. After seeing posts on this site, I’ve gotten concerned and have considered selling the car before it’s too late…
For searching, just click the search link near the top of the page (below the ad).

Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There was a thread a while back pertaining to the 6th gen auto trannies and it turns out that both have the same design flaws. The V6 killing the tranny is more common due to the added torque of the J30 engine. It seems that the 3rd trannies are the ones that last, but it's truely a game of hit-or-miss. I just gave up my AV6 due to tranny failure.

My advice is when it starts to behave strange when you drive the car not warmed up, get rid of it. The tranny will eventually die. I misinterpreted this warning sign as "the car just doesn't like to drive cold". When it started slipping, it went from good to dead in less than a week. Feel free to look at my pictures and you can determine for yourself if this was due to my maintenance practices.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Its a damn hit and miss with those damn trannines. I also had mine rplaced three times. Thank god this one works great. Anyway keep telling them to replace, and when you go to the dealer act very pissed and demand a rental car, or that they pay for one. It is a ridcualoius issue. I know becuase of the headaches. Hopefully you get lucky and get a good one this time. if not go look up lemon law for the car and see if you apply which i think you might. I feel your pain man.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 PM

bad motor mounts and seem like a transmission issue.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM

i had a 98 V6 that ate THREE OF THEM within 11K MILES........it seems that if they are not properly rebuilt with all of the updates, they crap out easily. So far my new beast has been OK although I think the trans is gonna go pretty soon

Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM

What is the best option for replacing the automatic transmission when it goes? Is it best to go to Honda or a third party shop? Is it worth trying to find someone who can just fix the problem or go with a rebuilt? Can a later model unit that doesn’t have the same problems be substituted? Does anyone have recommendations for a third party shop? It seems like the rebuilt units don’t last very long.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM

rebuilt transmissions do last long, but the problem is the tech. a lot of tech haphazardly clean the trans cooler. if you don't clean the cooler properly the fluid gets contaminated. then the solenoid screens clog up, and then the car starts to slip, then the fluid gets more contraminated...death. i've only had one reman tranny i've done come back.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM

Does anybody know if a transmission from a seventh generation Accord will work?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM

nope...dosen't even bolt up........not to mention no way for a 4 spd tcu to handle a 5sp trans

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord Auto. Transmission