General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord five speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Default 2000 accord five speed

Just purchase a 2000 accord and I thought I would like to join this site and learn from members who have more experience in dealing with any issues that may arise. The Honda has 161,00 miles but it sounds and rides better than the car I had before.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF!

Make sure all maintenance issues such as timing belt, water pump, brakes, etc are up to date.

good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi New Member

Welcome to the HAf.

Glad to have you with us as a new member...

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

5 speed is a much better transmission than the auto was for your generation.

welcome here!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Default Please answer the following for me:

The rod to hold up the hood is in the trunk. Should it not be in the engine compartment?

The radiator seems like it's loose, is this normal?

I was told the timing belt will go out soon. When should I have it checked?

I was also told Honda has problems like the CV joints going bad.

I really like this car because it's excellent on gas (four cylinders), the engine is so quite, the gears shift so smoothly. I intend to keep up the maintenance and any feedback is appreciated. Wonder how long the transmission and engine will last.

Thank you for making me feel welcome. Hope my questions don't make me feel like a dummy but this is the first time I have owned a Honda.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carino
The rod to hold up the hood is in the trunk. Should it not be in the engine compartment?

I was also told Honda has problems like the CV joints going bad.

I really like this car because it's excellent on gas (four cylinders), the engine is so quite, the gears shift so smoothly. I intend to keep up the maintenance and any feedback is appreciated. Wonder how long the transmission and engine will last.

Thank you for making me feel welcome. Hope my questions don't make me feel like a dummy but this is the first time I have owned a Honda.
Yes the trunk is not the right place for that.

Timing belt is recommend to be changed every 7 years or 105k miles. If it hasnt been replaced I would. If it breaks the engine is toast.

I wouldn't say Honda has any more problems with CV joints than any other car. Just check the boots make sure they aren't torn.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Moved posts since it's changed to problem response.

Response: Grommet may be missing that allows rod to pivot and anchors the rod. New one from Honda may be indicated.

Response: Yes, the upper radiator posts fit into rubber grommet guides in the frame and there is some play.

Response: Timing belt is not checked. It's a preventive maintenance replacement at scheduled interval. There is no inspection to defer this item. If it has not been done, it's well over due (7 yrs/105K miles which ever comes first). Consequence of timing belt failure are damage to the valve train and possibly pistons.

good luck

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM

I have the same car and it's the best car, by far, that I have ever owned. Getting close to 160K on it and other than timing belt/water pump, two batteries, brake job at 110K and most recently an upper ball joint the car has been maintenance free. The single highest cost of ownership has been tires.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Default Honda preventive care

Sorry for asking questions in the wrong thread. I will visit a Honda dealer and have them change the timing belt and check the CV joint boots.

I have check the two "rubber grommets" that hold the radiator and they look like they worn out because only the center part is there. Can someone tell me where the rod that holds up the hood should be?

Again, I love this car and will attempt to keep it maintained. Thank you all for your kind and beneficial responses.

Quick Reply: 2000 accord five speed