General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord LX blower motor and or resistor

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Cool 2000 Accord LX blower motor and or resistor

Help please. Two days ago my blower started making loud humming noise on high setting. Now it doesn't work at all. How do I check to see if it's the motor and or resistor?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

check and see if it has power to the motor if yes then it is the motor

Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lxgirl
Help please. Two days ago my blower started making loud humming noise on high setting. Now it doesn't work at all. How do I check to see if it's the motor and or resistor?
Two days ago and before, did the blower fan work on all settings or only the high setting?

If it worked only on the high setting before and now nothing, then I would first check the No. 17 (40A) fuse located in the under-hood fuse/relay box to see if it is blown. If the fuse is blown and after replacement, the fan only works on the highest setting, then it may point to the blower motor resistor.

There are other tests to check the motor.

Report back.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Accord LX blower motor and or resistor-underhood-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Blower was working, but making noise on high. Blower does not work at all now on any setting. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Fuse is not blown.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Smile Thank you

Thank you for the help. No power to the blower motor. Will I need to replace the resistor as well. Not a good mechanic...just know basic stuff. Trying to do as much as I can on my own.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Find the blower relay. It is in one of the fuse boxes in your car. Switch it out with an identical relay that isn't important like the power window relay. See that fixes the blower.

If you are getting into DIY work, get a shop manual for your car. I bought one from automanualsource.com for $21.99 for my TSX and it is worth every penny.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lxgirl
Thank you for the help. No power to the blower motor. Will I need to replace the resistor as well. Not a good mechanic...just know basic stuff. Trying to do as much as I can on my own.
When you say "No power to the blower motor", how did you determine this? Was this from measuring battery voltage from the electrical connector that plugs into the blower motor? If you're not getting battery voltage from the connector, that may be a problem with the relay or something other than the blower. Essentially this means power is not reaching the motor.

There are several ways to test the blower motor.

In the video link at the 0.48 mark as a reference, that is the 2P connector plug that supplies power for the blower motor.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tftz_dD9BEQ

While leaving everything plugged in, you can connect one end of a jumper wire to the Blue/Red wire side and the other end to body ground ( - ). Then turn the ignition to ON (II). Does the blower motor run?

If not, then disconnect the 2P electrical connector, measure the voltage on the electrical connector plug (not the motor) between the yellow/blk terminal ( + ) and body ground ( -). If you get battery voltage, this may indicate the blower motor is faulty (e.g., worn brushes, etc.). Essentially, this means although power is flowing to the motor, the motor is not running.

Another alternate test of the blower motor can also be by applying direct battery power to the blower motor terminals. You can use a 12 volt battery (e.g. lantern battery if you have one around) or by using long wires from the car battery.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Feel a little stupid. There was power to the motor. Relay is bad. Thanks for all the help. Video link was useful. I will definatley be getting manual. Thanks for all the help and advice. You guys are great!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM

I had the same problem. My fan only blew on the high speed. Checked the fuse, it was fine. I ordered the resistor via ebay, put it in (took maybe five minutes) and all is well again. Thanks to all for the info.

99 Accord EX Sedan 135,000 miles and going strong.

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord LX blower motor and or resistor