General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord SE, charger plug problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Question 2000 Accord SE, charger plug problem?

Hi, I'm new here.
My car is a 2000 Honda Accord SE, stock/no mods, currently at 140K + miles.
My problem is the interior 12V power outlet. It is shorting out/draining power from any brand car charger plug I'm using to charge my phone/electronics.

Any suggestions would be great, as I am trying to keep this car as long as I can.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

I'm a bit confused - trust me it is me not you. With the key off/out, there should be no power (12v) going to the socket - ground is always there.

So, are you saying even with the key off/out that there is power to the "socket"?

Does the car have the OE or aftermarket radio in it? I ask this because if someone replaced the radio and did some creative wiring this could be part of the issue.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Default charger port problem

Sorry! The power drain happens while the key is on/running. The radio is OEM complete with cassette deck.
QUOTE=tnmedic2;352294]Hi, I'm new here.
My car is a 2000 Honda Accord SE, stock/no mods, currently at 140K + miles.
My problem is the interior 12V power outlet. It is shorting out/draining power from any brand car charger plug I'm using to charge my phone/electronics.

Any suggestions would be great, as I am trying to keep this car as long as I can.
Thanks in advance!

[/QUOTE]

Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I want to help so please don't take any questions/comments the wrong way.

It sounds like you are saying that when the car is running - engine on - and you use the power socket that the battery drains.

If that is true there are a few places i would start. Be sure the battery connections are clean and tight - if you remove the cables from the battery to clean them, be sure you have the "code" for the radio. Next I would stop by a parts store and ask them to test the charging system.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Default Charger plug problem?

Thanks for trying to help! I think I may have confused everyone. I'm sorry.

The problem is: while the car is running.
If I plug a charger into the 12V accessory port/socket, that action does not charge the device I'm trying to charge. Actually it drains any battery life in the device, so its working in reverse?

The radio is OEM.

The car battery does not seem affected by this action. Is there a known electrical problem with this model Honda?

Thanks for any suggestions, and sorry for the confusion.

---------------------
tnmedic2
00 Honda Accord SE, stock.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

As I said, it is not hard to confuse me so no worries there.......I'm the slow stupid one so you have to give me a bit of time.

At this point I hope you have a volt meter or at least a test light? As there are some tests I would want to do. A volt meter is best and a cheap one can be had for less than $10 that will help with this and other things down the road so IMHO it is worth the investment it you are going to do simple repairs.......

What I would test for at this point is that the socket it getting 12v and has good continuity to ground.

I would also still be sure the cables at the battery are clean and tight and as I said most parts stores will test the charging system for free.....if something in the charging system is up, yes it will "back feed" and steal power from the device to try to keep the battery/car charged.