General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Stop Lamp fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Default 2000 Accord Stop Lamp fuse keeps blowing

I had an issue where I could not put my car into reverse, so I checked the stop fuse and saw that it had blown. When attempting to replace the fuse, the 2 new ones I tried replacing it with keep blowing when trying to put them in. Thinking there might be a problem with the brake switch itself, I disconnected the brake switch and went as far as removing the wires from the connector to make sure they weren't touching in the plastic connector. Still can not replace the fuse without it blowing. Any ideas?

Last edited by 2000Honda; 06-02-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM

A short somewhere! "blowing when trying to put them in". What do you mean?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

model ?? lx ,ex , 4dr , 2dr ,AT ? 5spd? v6 ? I4 ?
I am assuming you are talking about fuse # 47, 20 amps under hood fuse box ?? you should buy a 20 amp circuit braker so instead of replacing fuses all you got to do is reset the circuit braker

fuse still blows with brake switch disconnected ?? if it does ..
unplug the horns 1 at a time see if that stops fuse from blowing ..

if it still blows the fuse with horns+ brake switch unplugged , there is a short to ground either on the white /yellow brake wire from fuse box to brake switch or horns wire blue /red , or a possible bad horn relay ..

try this and let us know ..

Also chk all the wiring in the trunk for possible pinched to ground ,, green wires,, and white/black wires ,, going to brake bulbs socket

Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked Pete
A short somewhere! "blowing when trying to put them in". What do you mean?
I am assuming he means that there is a dead short,, fuse blows as soon as he installs it

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Sorry, Its a 2000 Accord ex 4dr 4cyl. Automatic

I will try disconnecting the horn and see what happens when I do that.

I had already unplugged the break lights from the trunk at the connector so that basically I ended up with all lights off, parking, directionals etc. but even then when attempting to install the fuse it would blow. I hope it's as simple as the horn relay....

Last edited by 2000Honda; 06-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Got a test light? Install it across the fuse terminals. It'll light up because that circuit is shorted to ground. Then you can unplug stuff until the light goes out, to narrow down your search without blowing another 25 fuses.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
model ?? lx ,ex , 4dr , 2dr ,AT ? 5spd? v6 ? I4
fuse still blows with brake switch disconnected ?? if it does ..
unplug the horns 1 at a time see if that stops fuse from blowing ..

if it still blows the fuse with horns+ brake switch unplugged , there is a short to ground either on the white /yellow brake wire from fuse box to brake switch or horns wire blue /red , or a possible bad horn relay ..

try this and let us know ..

Also chk all the wiring in the trunk for possible pinched to ground ,, green wires,, and white/black wires ,, going to brake bulbs socket
Thanks deserthonda,
I unplugged the horn relay from the fuse box and now I am able to replace the fuse. Break lights work and the car now shifts out of park. Looks like I am off to get a new Horn relay.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM

don't get the relay yet, by unplugging it ,you cut the power to the horns, via blue/red wires,,,,,,,you got 2 horns, it could still be a short in the wire and or a bad horn,, reinstall the relay, it could still be a bad relay but we want to make sure
unplug 1 horn at a time and see that stops from blowing the fuse ,, if it still blows the fuse then you need to chk the blue/red wire make sure that either one is not pinched to ground

if horns and wires are ok then you can try a new relay
again i would get a 20 amp circuit brakes to test this out .....or if you want to just get a relay and plug it in ,, it is your call your money ..

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
don't get the relay yet, by unplugging it ,you cut the power to the horns, via blue/red wires,,,,,,,you got 2 horns, it could still be a short in the wire and or a bad horn,, reinstall the relay, it could still be a bad relay but we want to make sure
unplug 1 horn at a time and see that stops from blowing the fuse ,, if it still blows the fuse then you need to chk the blue/red wire make sure that either one is not pinched to ground

if horns and wires are ok then you can try a new relay
again i would get a 20 amp circuit brakes to test this out .....or if you want to just get a relay and plug it in ,, it is your call your money ..
Okay. I will try the steps you mentioned to verify where the issue is.

Thanks!!

Okay I unplugged both horns, then put the relay back in. breaker was still okay. Went and pressed the horn, breaker blew...

Last edited by 2000Honda; 06-03-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Honda

Okay I unplugged both horns, then put the relay back in. breaker was still okay. Went and pressed the horn, breaker blew...
''ok now we are getting somewhere,with the realy out ( earlier post ).. it did not blow so that means that the circuit upstream is ok,,

if breaker blew with horns unplugged horns are not the issue ,,,
.......chk the wires ( blue/red) to make sure that neither one is pinched to ground.. if wires are ok,, could be the relay or a possible issue on the light-green/blue wire ( ground wire , shorted to a power wire )) from cable reel to relay ( wire also goes to multiplex control unit.) before going to relay ,, but i would be really surprised if the issue was on that wire
So,,,,you are not out of the woods yet...a bit more to diagnose

Last edited by deserthonda; 06-03-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord Stop Lamp fuse keeps blowing