General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Sens_Fan
Unregistered
Default 2000 Accord Transmission

I have a 2000 Accord, with an autmomatic transmission and 4 cylinder engine. At 108,000 km, the original transmission died, and was replaced for free under the extended warranty for this part, due to a largge number of transmssion failures. The "new" transmission needs to be replaced AGAIN, but the car is only at 148,000 km (so its lasted 40,000km). While still under the KM for the extended warranty, the time has now expired by 3 months (93 month warranty, 96 month old car). I am extremely worried that after spending $3,600 for a third transmission that is simply going to run into the same problem as the 2nd one (and 40,000km for a transmission is beyond pathetic). The car has had the proper Honda service for the life of the vehicle, and all the fluids are good.

Honda only gives a 1 year, 20,000km warranty on the replacement, and I am very worried that it will simply break again after 40,000 km, basically wasting the repair money. As far as I can tell at this point the replacement is just going to have the same design defect as the first 2 and breack again, is this correct? Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? After Honda replaced the first one I was quite pleased with their service, but a new transmission lasting 40,000km really makes me question the quality of this part. It should be noted that I have yet to aggresively ask for some sort of discount on the repair (not sure how much luck I would have with that), but if I have to pay full price for this I would never buy a Honda again.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with this model? Any advice at all would be greatly apreciated.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2000 Accord Transmission

You need to discuss this with the service manager at your Honda dealership. They will most likely cover most of the repair since it didn't last even a reasonable amount of time. Look for a goodwill replacement. Also, bring the records of the repairs with you alond with the related TSB's and recalls.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Plenty of members have experienced that problem. The transmissions in the 98-02 Honda Accords have about a 50/50 chance that they will break since they were made so crappily.
My advice would be to sell the car. if you want another Honda Accord made between 98-02 buy one with a manual trans.
Or you could pay for the repairs (if repairable) and install a trans cooler with the hopes that it would help.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:12 PM

in addition, the replacements fail more often than the originals. I'm hoping that mine doesn't crap out in the next 2 years.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Sens_Fan
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: falkore24

in addition, the replacements fail more often than the originals. I'm hoping that mine doesn't crap out in the next 2 years.
So basically shouldn't trust any Honda replacement? Is their any other option than the Honda Tranny?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM

Dr. Evil, but it's $4,500 ..... and can still have the same issues, but less likely

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM

If honda won't replace it under good will you might want to look around somewhere else. My transmission came from one of those japanense places that imports engines and transmissions. They had some used ones and rebuilt ones. The place I bought the car from helped me out a lot though, so I don't know exactly how much it costs. I got about 15k on the rebuilt transmission and it seems doing fine. The transmission came with a 6/mo unlimited mile warranty. Might be worth a shot.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Plenty of members have experienced that problem. The transmissions in the 98-02 Honda Accords have about a 50/50 chance that they will break since they were made so crappily.
Damn right! American car workers/assemblers are damn lazy, they only work cause they get paid. You rarely see this on Japan built transmission because this is their career. Japan badge, but built in the USA.. crappy like American made cars.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: myredhonda

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Damn right! American car workers/assemblers are damn lazy, they only work cause they get paid. You rarely see this on Japan built transmission because this is their career. Japan badge, but built in the USA.. crappy like American made cars.

Down with the UAW

Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 PM

ehehe

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord Transmission