General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2000 Accord Whining Noise

Hello,
New here and not sure if this is the correct thread to post, but yesterday I noticed a whining noise when I start the car. I have a 2000 Accord. The whining does get louder when I step on the accelerator and seems to fade slightly as the car gets warmer, but does not go away completely. I don't think it's anything to do with the power steering as the noise does not change when I turn the wheel. However, I had a 2003 Nissan Sentra and it was doing something very similar, and when I added in power steering fluid, the noise would go away. Could that be it? Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Try a poor-man's stethoscope (scrap of garden hose) to pinpoint the location of the sound. Don't get caught up in the spinning belts.

They're known for some deteriorating O-ring where the hoses attach to the PS pump. That can be the cause for the noise. Got any foaming in the PS fluid reservoir? (I'm not sure whether the common problem results in much foam)

You might consider other noises. An alternator with its diode bridge getting bad will whine more than a good one. And that will decrease as the charging current drops off (as it recharges the battery after starting the engine).

Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay thanks. I am going to try topping off the clutch and p/s fluids first since they are on or below the minimum levels. My Nissan would make the same sound when those levels were low. Will post back here once done.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch fluid won't do this (not to discourage you from correcting a low level...)

Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A leaking oring on the PS suction inlet to the pump will pull air in no matter the fluid level.

Check PS fluid reservoir for bubbles. If you see them, the suction leak is almost certain at inlet fitting or hose connection to inlet fitting.

PS internal pressure at suction fitting is below ambient so air gets pulled in rather than fluid leaking out.

good luck

Old 01-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Did some more driving around today. The whining noise seems louder when I first start the car, then somewhat dies down after driving for a bit, but it's still there. It also gets louder when I accelerate. The sound seems to be coming from somewhere around the two belts near the alternator. Any ideas what it may be?

Old 01-29-2015, 05:38 AM

It may be a bearing noise in the alternator, p/s or a/c assuming this is a 4cyl. If it is a v6 then add to those potentials the idler bearing for the auto tensioner. Use Jim's idea to listen and pinpoint the noise source.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It's a 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM

You can also use a steel bar and touch one end to the part you want to listen too and cup your hand over the other end and listen... Good luck.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I replaced the alternator and the whining noise is gone. Apparently this is the piece that was causing the whining noise according to the alternator professionals I took the car to (see attached). As soon as I started the car, they immediately pointed to that piece saying it was "leaking". $90 for an alternator and DIY install, seems I am good to go!

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord Whining Noise