General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 honda accord 4cyl. giving me 4 codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2000 honda accord 4cyl. giving me 4 codes

P1259 Honda VTEC SYSTEM B1 FAILURE
P1165 Honda HO2S(A/F SENSOR) S1 IDLE RANGE PROBLEM
P0700 Honda A/T SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
P0780 Honda CVT PULLEY PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE STUCK

I did research on my codes and came up with the above. Acceleration hesitates when stopping at stop sign or red light. Any help anyone can give me I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0700 is a general transmission fault that is always present w/ another trans code; P0780 in this case.

P0780 definition is "shift malfunction". This can be a number of things and w/ other codes is suspicious.

Suggest pulling the BackUp fuse in underhood fuse box for 20 secs to reset ECU, and see what codes return. Autozone will check codes in many locations. Don't wait, once codes appear have it checked.

Any electrical work done; alternator, battery, etc?

good luck

Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

P0780 and P0700 are transmission codes.

P0700 Automatic Transmission Control System
P0780 Problem in Shift Control System

P1259 VTEC System Malfunction
P1165 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Range/Performance Problem

For the transmission codes, you may want to change the transmission fluid. Use Honda ATF. FYI, 98-02 accord transmissions had some problems and can prematurely fail.

Vtec is turned on by oil pressure. Check your oil level.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for response back I appreciate it. The battery has been changed because of corrosion on the terminals but it wasn't done recently. The 02 sensors were changed and originally the person had put in the aftermarket but I didn't have that knowledge at the time. I got them to put in the actual Honda accord brand. No electrical work has ever been done on the vehicle. I got an oil change at Jiffy Lube today and then I took it to advanced auto parts and they ran the scan. I wrote down the codes and just researched them basically. I have an appointment at the Honda dealership on Friday April 29th. For them to run a diagnostic was basically just trying to get a second opinion to combat what they might say. Just out of curiosity, what is the severity of these codes? I want to get it fixed but if its gonna cost as much as a new car I might have to go that route.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM

P0780 is a potential problem as it's a hydraulic fault that may not be corrected w/ replacement of exterior solenoids on the transmission. PA's recommendation for Honda ATF change is probably best chance for a cheap fix.

good luck

Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I understand so I should mention to a honda tech I might be due for a tranny flush? If that don't solve the problem then valve a and valve b need to be replaced? If all else fails the whole transmission has to get replaced? Thanks for the help again straight noob at this.

Last edited by nufftalon; 04-23-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i took the honda to the honda dealership they said I need a new transmission said it would cost about 3gs and 800 less for a used one. is this generally the price for a used one or is there maybe a place in long island i could go to buy the part

Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM

I checked car-part.com and used transmissions run $1000-$1500 depending on mileage and location. Looks like you could expect to score a < 100K miles trans for ~ 1000. My experience is to expect installation costs to be closely approximated by parts cost, so $1000 installation. That is not that far from the estimate supplied by Honda.

Advantage of Honda is part and labor are covered by some warranty. If you go used, you can buy a warranty on labor, but it's pretty prices, perhaps $400-$500 (wag).

If you've owned this car since new and had Hondas before, you might ask for some good will credit. If mileage is over 200K, don't expect much help.

You might also check a local rebuild shop (check reputation closely as some are just rip-off artists).

Only way to save big bucks would be to DIY, but this is a big job and unless you've tackled similar big jobs, not a place to begin your "tough job" diy experience.

good luck

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks again for your help I'm far from a DIY lol I did some shopping around after Honda said altogether it would be 3500 for a new transmission lol which is remanufactured I got a quote from a guy said he would do a reman tran for under 3gs look 2300 2400 range with a 2 year warranty been is business for over 22 years referred to by a friend I know that does custom classic autocars hes actually trying to open a car museum in nassau county at the coliseum anyway got an appt scheduled for friday so we will see how that goes.

Honda said transmission is slipping. Hopefully once that gets fixed everything will be looking good. This car has reach 130k miles on it so I'm not surprised. I would definitely get another Honda in the future just for the simple fact at how little of service was needed on it within the past 5 years.

Texashonda you the man though I thank you again and everyone else that has helped me out. Great community.

Last edited by nufftalon; 04-30-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

130K miles, that car is just broken in.
I would change the trans fluid first.
Do not have it power flushed.

Quick Reply: 2000 honda accord 4cyl. giving me 4 codes