General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Accord 4cyl Vtec water in oil..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
summerfish2001
Unregistered
Default 2000 Honda Accord 4cyl Vtec water in oil..

I have a 2000 Honda Accord with the 4cyl VTEC engine...for some years we have had to add coolant every month or so and then it became alot worse...we thought the head gasket was leaking but after having the head pressure checked and all at the machine shop today, we have found that is not the problem. Where can this be coming from? Can someone please help? The engine has 150,000 miles on it and has never given any problem whatsoever... thanks!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2000 Honda Accord 4cyl Vtec water in oil..

So the head is off, and the machine shop pressure tested it?
and you found no head gasket corruption when pulling the head off?

There were some V-6 engine blocksthat had porous castings a few years back.

Thats my only best guess.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
summerfish2001
Unregistered

originally we pulled the head found that the gasket was leaking...replaced gasket checked head ourselves and didnt appear to be warped we took a chance put it back together with a new gasket set, replaced timing belt, replaced idler pullies while we were going with it...put it back together and didnt use head bolt sealer would that cause water to go in the oil from not using head bolt sealer? The shop says the head is fine so we've ordered a new gasket thinking maybe the gasket was faulty and get some sealer for the head bolts???

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
summerfish2001
Unregistered

is there anything else to check besides head gasket? anyone?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

The bottom cylinder head might need to be shaved so it is perfectly flat. I have read other members comment that you should always do this so you don't risk having to repeat the head gasket replacement.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
summerfish2001
Unregistered

so does anyone suggest anything else? Has anyone every heard of sealer for the head bolts?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Some head bolts penetrate the coolant passages and must be sealed w/ thread sealant. I'm not aware of any Accords w/ this design.

As suggested, shaving the head perfectly flat is a very good practice when replacing the head. First cylinder head gasket I replaced, I checked the head for flatness and it was OK. I installed the head gasket and two weeks later, head gasket began to leak again. I pulled the head and examined carefully. Only possible defect was a tiny area where the leak may have caused some erosion of cylinder head. I had the head shaved to smooth out this slight roughness. Reinstalled and never had any further problems.

Since then I've done two additional head gasket replacements, and I've always had the heads shaved. Two/two w/ these repairs.

good luck

Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You should ask the machine shop how warped the cylinder head is. I have read Honda wants only .002 which most machine shops would say is fine. The block could be warped but I doubt it. If it was my vehicle and doing it the second time, I would get Honda gaskets and have the head milled. I just had my 2.2 done. The machine shop insists on milling all of them. Cheap gaskets could fail. You didn’t mention if you used OEM or not. I think if the bolt went into the water jackets which I doubt you would have anti freeze leaking where the bolts contact the cylinder head under the valve cover.
With the head off you should be able to determine if the bolts go into a water jacket. The bolt holes will not be bottom out near the bottom of the threads. Which motor do you have?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
summerfish2001
Unregistered

i have the 4cy vtec engine for the 2000 accord...we didnt have to replace the head the machine shop said it was fine...not warped at all...we didnt' get Honda Gaskets but got them from Advance Auto parts...i don't believe the block has a crack since the water around the cylinders is still sitting there and hasn't leaked out...im hoping faulty gasket. i will know this weekend!