General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Honda Accord driver door lock stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Whew,going thru this very scenario with a hurt neck and upper back problems,very insightful help. Local honda dealer has ordered the part at the very low price of $107,I didnt wanna a used one as I never wanna go thru this again!Thanks for the input,Im at the point to where im waiting on the new lock mechanism but evrything is cutout minus the latch,in case i have to drive her.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 PM

mohamon...you were RIGHT ON!....I found the drill to be adequate enough..drilled across the bottom of the bracket and drilled-out the welds, pried the bottom of the metal plate towards the top, then drilling through the plastic and knocking-out the plastic latches

Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Default same problem =/ 98 accord coupe.

Originally Posted by Arseman03
TexasHonda, thank you for your reply.

as it turns out, the outside door handle and the inside door handle both move the same lever inside the door (obviously).

the issue wasnt with the rods.

this solution is 100% correct regarding all 98 - 02 honda accord coupes but i cant speak for other models.

first, remove the white plastic cover that protects the moving parts, it is only secured in place by a single phillips screw in the middle and a rubber sleve that encases one of the rods.

what is important is that there is a ROD that connects to the key switch and it unlocks the door when you turn your key. the ROD going from the key switch (im sure switch isnt the right word) connects to the lock assembly to a curved plastic track. if you are not sure what ROD i am talking about, try to lock and unlock the car door with your key and you will notice it move, along with the rod attached to the nub that goes up and down when you lock and unlock your door.

anyway, behind the plastic track that the rod connects to is a flat metal lever with a notch in it on one side. you WILL NEED to place a mirror inside your car door through the access hole (i had to cut a hole the size of a plate in my door trim). the mirror must be placed so that it is under the outside door handle facing the inside of the car.

the issue occurs when the metal lever no longer strikes the notch that unhinges the door due to normal and wear or by being unexplaining pushed out towards the front of the car.

i couldnt access the notch with a screw driver but instead i took a hanger and arched it upward and made a hook at the end, i had to put my hand pretty deep inside the access hole and place my hand very close to the end of the hanger. i pushed down on the notch and felt good knowing the my weeks of climbing through the window or passenger door were finally over.

i havent placed pictures online yet because i am waiting for my new parts to come in the mail so i can include those in the pictures as well.

So if I pull on this metal lever with the notch and push the door it will open? In this case I won't have to cut into the metal covering the latch to phisically open the lock right? Is it possible for you to post a pic of this metal lever? I can't find it. Please, it would be a big help. I need to fix this issue and I really don't want to have to drill or cut into the latch mechanism.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks for your post and information, After four hours I was able to get my door open.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ab17inc
So if I pull on this metal lever with the notch and push the door it will open? In this case I won't have to cut into the metal covering the latch to phisically open the lock right? Is it possible for you to post a pic of this metal lever? I can't find it. Please, it would be a big help. I need to fix this issue and I really don't want to have to drill or cut into the latch mechanism.
All I have been doing for the last three hours is cutting and drilling. Necessary in my case.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Default Why This!!

Hi
I'm now the victim of this. Driver door stuck closed. I've read so many solutions to the problem,and all I see is extreme difficulty or lots of $$$ to fix mine. I don't know where to start. Mine is a "98 V6 EX 2 door, leather. I can barely sit in the seat and twist my body to the direction to remove the panel... and then what, cut a plate size piece of metal out to see the darn thing. I saw a yt demo and he said not to drill or cut, but to place a coat hanger on the door latch unit, and there is a little tab, hook it and pull and it will release the door. But then ,have the new part and put it in. That sounds really hard if you must feel your way in the dark.... Oh my god... why did this happen, I can't imagine a bigger dilemma? I'm absolutely freaked out! I talked to Honda and they said they almost have to tear the door apart. I had a 68 plymouth until 2003 and I never had the latch go bad.... geeez.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check youtube video on this subject by briansmobile1.

It is indeed a difficult job, w/ door panel removal a substantial challenge. Getting the front seat out in a 2Dr may be difficult.

good luck

Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rolling
Hi
I'm now the victim of this. Driver door stuck closed. I've read so many solutions to the problem,and all I see is extreme difficulty or lots of $$$ to fix mine. I don't know where to start. Mine is a "98 V6 EX 2 door, leather. I can barely sit in the seat and twist my body to the direction to remove the panel... and then what, cut a plate size piece of metal out to see the darn thing. I saw a yt demo and he said not to drill or cut, but to place a coat hanger on the door latch unit, and there is a little tab, hook it and pull and it will release the door. But then ,have the new part and put it in. That sounds really hard if you must feel your way in the dark.... Oh my god... why did this happen, I can't imagine a bigger dilemma? I'm absolutely freaked out! I talked to Honda and they said they almost have to tear the door apart. I had a 68 plymouth until 2003 and I never had the latch go bad.... geeez.
The removal of the door panel and drilling out of the lock assembly, basically from start to finish, until the door popped open, took about four hours. I bought a used door from a junk yard before doing the job, so I had a used interior panel and lock assembly all ready to go. I had to cut pretty much the whole interior panel out, and was able to pull the bottom part around the seat. I had a 4-door, and did not have to remove the seat. It took some doing with the dremel tool, tin snips and some cut and bruised fingers. In the end, after I disconnected all the parts, covers and and linkage connectors, I had to drill through the plastic central portion of the lock assembly until I could get a screwdriver in there and pop the lock claw off the post. Once I got the door open, it was fairly straightforward removing the old lock assembly and replacing it with the new assembly. I had cut some linkage connectors, so replaced them with the connectors from the new door. When all done and tested, I replaced the door panel, and was finished. Total cost $125 for the used door.

Last edited by kbmcdowell; 01-22-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added price
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM

I have similar with my 2000 accord just yesterday. Now the problem happened when I took my car to the Honda Dearlership for a wheel alignment. After I dropped off the car, I got a call 20 minutes later that they cannot get in the car because the door is stuck shut...after they have been in and out of it. Should I be responsible to pay fo this eventhough it happened in their care? They are giving me the "it would have happened eventually" story. I think this is a rip off. Please help.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I don't see much case for arguing it's their fault.

You could get a lawyer and sue them in small claims court before a judge, who will likely rule in their favor.

At least you know what to do from this thread.

good luck

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Accord driver door lock stuck