General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Accord EX Air Conditioner inop and over pressurizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have a list in the shop manual.

The list is almost identical to the 03-07 accords. See the list in this thread.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-code-s-34589/

Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It shows a code N.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Does the blower inside of the car turn on and push air through the vents?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes the blower comes on after a sec or two and blows air when the system is not working.

Also, I measured the wires going to low pressure switch with the switch uplugged and i have 4.7v on the blue/red and 0v on yell/green. I also noticed with LPS unplugged when i turn the ignition switch on the condenser fan and ac clutch do nothing at all, but with LPS plugged in, when i turn ignition switch on, both fans and ac clutch engage and run for 1-2 seconds. Something is breaking down and losing a signal after 1-2 seconds. I checked at relay box under hood and all 3 relay (in a row) de-energize after that second or two, so by assumption what do all 3 of those relays have in common. I have checked all fuses. But common sense says wires/fuses must be good sense they will work for 1-2 sec., now relays, etc anything with a variable may be breaking down but for all to do it at exact same time says they must have a common trigger.

I also checked continuity of wire running from relay box to ac clutch, it checked good.

Note: i replaced a/c control head with a different one and nothing changed from one to another.

I really do appreciate all your help in this!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

You can do some continuity tests between the power transistor an the HVAC control unit. The transistor has 4 wires going to it, but the electrical connector can hold five wires. There is an 8-pin connector on the climate control. You can check for continuity to between the wires with the same color.

My suggestion is to stop by a junkyard and get a power transistor for your accord. Since you replace the HVAC unit with a known working one.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Where is the power transistor located? Any chance you have a schematic?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

It is under the passenger's side of the dash. It is #8 in the picture below.

It will either be on the housing of the blower motor or maybe to the left of the blower motor (more towards the center of the car).

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

cool will try tomorrow. had enough for today. so does this power transistor somehow affect all the systems effected. Im not familiar with them. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, just try and keep all the families vehicles running when it comes to cars.
Ones last question and i hate to keep asking but what would you check between the HVAC control and the power transistor exactly. I dont have a wiring schematic for that system. I have bits and pieces of the ac system but cannot find that one.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation

I forgot to mention that the blower only works in high. it does not have a variable speed right now. So when it comes on, its full blast.

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Accord EX Air Conditioner inop and over pressurizing