General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda accord LX won't start, rapid clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Unhappy 2000 Honda accord LX won't start, rapid clicking

I really hope I'm posting in the right place/thread but I need some help guys!
My 2000 Honda accord lx is automatic and has about 110,000 miles on it and im good to it as far as oil changes and what not.
last night while driving it all of a sudden it felt like the car had been put in neutral, I switched it from D3 to D4 and back to D3 and decided to pull over. As soon as I turned off the car, it wouldn't turn back on again. I hear clicking when I turn the key and the engine wanting to kick in, but it's mostly just clicking. Any ideas? Thanks.
Vivian
2000 Honda accord lx v6

Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
bpp
Newest Of Newbies

Perhaps a stupid question but is it possible you ran out of fuel? Did you notice a check engine light on the dashboard? It could be a lot of things. I think we would need a little bit more clues in what direction to head in. I would assume the battery and alternator were ok because you would have probably gotten some tell tales signs beforehand. I guess it could be something like a faulty fuel pump or even a snapped timing belt.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Car has gas, i didn't notice any check engine or maintenance light turn on. I went back this morning and cleaned up the posts on the battery (they corrosion on them) and then used jumper cables to charge the battery, after about 8 minutes it turned on...it was about 2 miles to get from where the car was to my house and it crapped out again after a mile or so at a stop light. It's now in a super market parking lot.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
bpp
Newest Of Newbies

Well things could be a lot worse. Just change out the battery and you should check if the alternator is functioning. When my alternator failed (and when the accessory/alternator belt snapped) on that car, a bunch of the cluster lights lit up on my dashboard (battery, door ajar, trunk, etc). If this is the case then the alternator needs to be replaced as well but you need to test it either way.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM

ok cool thanks! I'll get on that. I really hope it's just the battery but I'm hardly ever that lucky. I'll be back soon enough with an update. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If it was the battery, the car would run fine but not want to start. Sounds like the alternator to me. The car will run off the battery with alternator not working. Sounds like you got the battery charged enough to start and run it that short disttance before it crapped iut again.

Most auto parts places will check the battery, and the altrnator if you bring them in.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Did the battery light turn on when you were driving?

Check the electrical connector that goes to the alternator. I also think there is a fuse for the alternator.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 PM

When i turned the car on after having let the battery charge for a few minutes the dash seemed normal and I didn't notice any unusual maintenance lights, however I didn't drive it home. I borrowed a car to get to my car and my neighbor tried driving my car back home. he said there were no maintenance lights on and that car was running fine right up untill the moment it crapped out at the stop light. I honestly can't say if one turned on while he was driving it though because the guy is an old timer and I dont know how good his vision is or if he was paying attention to the dashboard but I personally didn't see a maintenance light and he says he didn't either.
I just dropped the battery off at Autozone and it's not under warranty anymore. there going to try and charge it up first in hopes that i just need a new one, if it's not the battery then I guess ill go from there through proscess of elimination.
Thanks again guys.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Sounds like the alternator is bad. Turn the car back on and once is on remove the positive cable and if it shuts off then is the alternator. Easy way to find out.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM

The battery didn't take a charge so I got a pro rated new one for like $40, it's like 115 degrees out (California desert) so I'm waiting till the sun goes down to put in the new one. I hope it's as easy as that. We'll see. I'll let you guys know.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda accord LX won't start, rapid clicking