General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 v6 Oil Pan replacement and parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 AM
JMW
Default 2000 v6 Oil Pan replacement and parts

I am replacing the oil pan on my 2000 Accord LX v6 3.0 and I am unsure what other parts are needed. The shop I have taken my car to was giving me a two week waiting time for them to order parts so I am trying to get them myself to speed up the process.

On the part order form they gave me a copy of it lists; Oil pan & drain plug, Oil pan seals, gaskets.

I have ordered the oil pan and drain plug with a gasket but the list also says seals? I am under the impression the oil pan needs a rubber gasket, which I am assume is the seal part but I am having a lot of trouble find one for my specific car. Do all oil pans require a rubber gasket seal or is it possible that this make relies on a silicone or some other type of sealant. Or, are both require to actually seal the oil pan?

I am a newb, so any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

The 2000 V6 oil pan uses a sealant - there's no gasket.

I don't know what seals they are talking about, unless the shop is using the oil pan as an excuse to replace the main seals??

Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
JMW

Thanks, Jim. What kind of sealant does it require?

When you say main seals, what seals exactly are you talking about?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Without the shop manual, I'll guess you use Honda-Bond. That's the same as Permatex Ultra-Grey.

Anyone with a V-6 shop manual - chime in with information about the sealant?

Main seals - I meant the 2 ends of the crankshaft. They are not "required" to go along with the oil pan, but I couldn't think of other likely seals nearby. Was kinda hoping you had part numbers from their quote?

Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Per NAPA, the oil pan gasket is RTV.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 AM
JMW

They have charged me $20 for the oil pan to be sealed, seems ridiculous but I am about to leave town and need the work done ASAP.

The first quote they gave me for the labor, in which I agree upon was $140 for 1.75 hours. After I signed the paper work and paid for the order of the parts, they increased the quote to $260 saying they would have to lift the motor and that it is a very difficult job, literally ripping the first quote off my paper work and telling me that had to have been for a different vehicle.
Is this a reasonable increase or just complete bull****?
As someone who knows very little about cars, I can not debate an issue I don't know anything about.
BUT, I do still have a copy of the first quote and the paperwork I signed so, I believe I could still argue the total?

In the end they did say they would have no idea the total until the job is done, there could be unforeseen circumstances...

Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

"Lift the motor" No, you don't have to lift the engine.

"Very difficult job" No, any barely competent mechanic could bang this job out in an hour or less.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would guess the shop didn't realize the rear main seal was leaking and not the oil pan and that is the change in labor price.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM
JMW

It was actually the drain plug that was leaking oil. The last mechanic stripped the threading on the drain plug and now I am replacing the entire oil pan per what the shop said was necessary.

So, the engine does NOT need to be lifted in order to replace the oil pan?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JMW
It was actually the drain plug that was leaking oil. The last mechanic stripped the threading on the drain plug and now I am replacing the entire oil pan per what the shop said was necessary.

So, the engine does NOT need to be lifted in order to replace the oil pan?
Not only do you not need to lift the engine, you don't even need to replace the oil pan. Simply have them tap in a new set of threads and use a larger oil plug.

Quick Reply: 2000 v6 Oil Pan replacement and parts