General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 accord 2.3 auto trans help after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Default 2001 accord 2.3 auto trans help after rebuild

My 2001 2.3 accord auto tranny was starting to go after 211k miles. A year ago I cleaned the lock up screens, then it started slipping by fluttering between 3rd-4th gear on the highway in cruise. I knew it was a matter of time so I started looking for a rebuilt tranny. I was going to rebuild it myself, but decided against it and bought a reman from a shop.

After installing the new tranny, I started it up drove around a bit. Seemed to pop into gear a little crisper than I would like, but wanted to see if it settled out after a week of driving. I also noticed when shifting into reverse, it would take about 3 seconds before your would feel it shift into reverse.

Now after one day i was on the highway and it wouldn't shift into 4th gear and the D4 light started flashing and CEL came on. I pulled over and put it in park then took off again and it was fine. about ten miles later I slowed down getting off at an exit and it was slipping in some gears and acting up. I gently got it to work. I called the tranny shop and they said it was a harness problem. I checked all the connections and they looked good.

At Lunch I tested the car out again and when it was cool it ran good with the crisper shifts and delayed reverse. after it warmed up the slipping started again. I checked the codes and had 6!

p0700 Trans Control system
p1738 2nd clutch trans fluid switch failure
p1739 3rd clutch trans fluid switch failure
p0740 Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit / open
p0730 Gear ratio incorrect
p0780 Shift malfunction

The tranny shop insists it is a wiring problem. I checked the lock up, B and C solenoids and they were all clear and working. THey were also from my old tranny that worked fine.

I am thinking it is an oil leak somewhere internally (maybe solenoids not working correctly) that is causing the delayed shifts and all the oil pressure alarms to go off. This also explains the cooler thicker oil allowing things to work ok.

Any ideas or help is appreciated? my next check is fuses. I am really hoping I didn't get a bum rebuild.

Last edited by tap500; 12-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM

did they give you a list of what they "rebuilt" in the transmission?

How did they repair the bearing guides?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM

It was said to been rebuilt with steels, o-rings, and differential bearings.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM

I'd take it to the shop that did the reman and tell them they need to figure it out. If your connections are sound then it is something internal. I am thinking they did a shoddy job pressing new bearing guides into the case.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM

I have a bad feeling it is something internal, but I am trying to exhaust all the options before pulling it. Could the linear solenoid solenoid be the problem? I can't find a test procedure. It also looks adjustable. Mine is actuating but not sure if it is sealing tight where it's supposed to?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to do more testing before going back....start with the 1738 and 1739. All of the other codes, all of the other codes could be a result of one or both of these.

Did these (2nd and 3rd switch) come with the trans or did you have to swap them over from yours?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM

I used the switches from my tranny. I find it hard to believe 2 switches went bad at once. I did remove and clean. They were both open and don't set off CEL until I go into 4TH

After some research in honda service manual, the 4th gear engages the reverse as well. I am having trouble with the delayed reverse and 4th gear slipping.

Old tranny was fine except for occasional 3/4 bouncing back and forth on large hills on highway.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM

nothing wrong with jumping gears 3-4th on hill climbs that is actually normal. While our transmissions have a grade logic system that will downshift and hold lower gears it only happens when certain criteria are met. And it takes a bit for the computer to realize that you are climbing.

As far as your transmission it is sounding more and more like a bearing issue.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM

So the shop agreed to rebuild my original tranny after trying to tell me that I was usimg the wrong fluid (Honda) and to use detection V or VI.

Got the tanny back wrapped in plastic. I was a bit nervous because the flanges did not look to be broken, but looked like someone wire brushed the case a little to make it look like it was cleaned.

Installed my original back in and droves as when removed, shifting smoothly and going right into reverse. Very leary the shop did anything at all. After 2 test drives the CEL came on. will have to check what code is but I have a bad feeling it is the PO7040. I really hope it is somethinv else. Have to run it up a hill on the highway in cruise to see if it still flutters between 3rd and 4th. So far I Rt hink from what I have seen I got ripped off and they sent me two totally untouched trannys and I got screwed out of $1000 + $120 in fluid + the headaches of 2 tranny swaps to get me where i already was when I started. Lesson : go to someone like Jasper or get a reputable shop to do the whole job or rebuild youself. Have a bad feelingfeelingfeeling I will bebe rebuilding this tranny myself now.now.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you have to do it yourself or have another shop do it.....read this please:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/35...pdf?1320330979

Quick Reply: 2001 accord 2.3 auto trans help after rebuild