General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 accord idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Joseph_accord
Unregistered
Default 2001 accord idle problem

Guys,
I've read some of the thread on rough idle problem. Well, I have them too. I also get the P0505 code.
I can't seem to locate the following for 2001: egr, FITV and IACV. I've seen the other pix but they are from 90s accord and look different.

Please let me know.
thanks,
Joseph

Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 2001 accord idle problem

P0505 is Idle Control System malfunction. Quite a few things can cause this; IACV mechanical problem (dirt, grime, blocking valve movement); Fast idle thermo valve, throttle body dirty clogged port, intake manifold leak, intake air leak, vacuum line leakage, ECT sensor fault, or throttle position sensor fault.

Most likely IMO would be clogged or failed IACV, air leak, or vacuum leak. IACV is easy to check. Disconnect and if no change in idle (it should drop low to 600-700 rpm), then IACV has electrically failed or is clogged so badly the valve can't move (clean w/ throttle body cleaner).

There is a farily lengthy diagnostic for this problem that needs to be performed to isolate the fault. You need a Honda shop manual for your vehicle.

good luck

Old 06-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Usually a bad iacv, i've replace hundreds of em. You can check it by pulling off the air intake and put your finger over the idle air port.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

What is it?
V-6?
4-cyl VTEC?
4-cyl non-VTEC?

For the 4-cyl engines, it's like this...

You don't have a FITV. Somewhere around '96 they included that function into a new-type AICV.

The AICV is bolted to the back of the intake manifold. Back against the firewall.

The EGR is on the intake manifold, it's a round disk thing, usually has a green sticker on it.

Better pictures if I knew which engine...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Joseph_accord
Unregistered

Jim,
Thanks for answering the other part of my thread.
It is a V6.
So ya, I need to know where the egr, FITV and IACV are.
Also the rpm is very low (below 1000.). This is even at cold start. What is normal rpm at cold start?
ORIGINAL: JimBlake

What is it?
V-6?
4-cyl VTEC?
4-cyl non-VTEC?

For the 4-cyl engines, it's like this...

You don't have a FITV. Somewhere around '96 they included that function into a new-type AICV.

The AICV is bolted to the back of the intake manifold. Back against the firewall.

The EGR is on the intake manifold, it's a round disk thing, usually has a green sticker on it.

Better pictures if I knew which engine...

Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Joseph_accord
Unregistered

Anyone?
Anyone know whereegr, FITV and IACV for a 2001 accord, 2 door, V6 EX.

thanks in advance.
Joseph

Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your IACV is under the throttle body, #2. I think Honda included the function of the FITV into the IACV across all it's engines by 2001, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I didn't see any FITV or EGR with a quick look thru a couple parts drawings. I don't have a V6 so I don't have a proper repair manual for it.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
sleeper408
Unregistered

Hello all. My girlfriend just received a 1999 V6 Accord Lx with 173K miles as a gift from her sister just today. She recently replaced the EGR valve but now the car is having idling problems. The car was sitting for a month after the EGR valve had been replaced and now it has a surging idle. During cold start-up, the idle surges from 1500-1800 repeatedly. I went to Autozone and scanned the codes and it is in fact an IAC malfunction (P0505). I tried the IACV test and unplugged it while the engine was running. The idle didn't surge as hard but it still did slightly. The rpms did not drop either. It stayed around 1600 rpms. Even while in Drive and at a stop, the idle slightly jumps and the car jerks forward a bit. Since unplugging the IACV did not substantially lower the car's idle, I suspect that the IACV has failed and will need to be replaced. Does anybody know the cost for parts and labor? I think I saw the part for about $100 and another $140 for labor. Is this correct? Lastly, the car will have to take 50 mile trip home. Is it safe to drive such a distance on a failed IACV? I will try and put the car in the shop ASAP but I fear it will not be until another week or so. Would it be safe to drive around for the week on a failed IACV? I'm just wondering whether this is huge problem or more of an annoyance. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

-Theo

Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
sleeper408
Unregistered

Anyone? I will be driving it home later tonight.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM

the car will always be driveable if there was no idle air control valve because of the throttle plate stop screw. plus the fact that you can just hold the gas pedal down slightly to keep it running. it sounds like you have a vacuum leak with a surging idle. it needs to be tracked down and elminated. a new idle air control valve will not fix a vacuum leak, but a vacuum leak can set a p0505.

when you say the egr was replaced, are you talking about the egr valve and the egr port cleaning? if so, there may be a problem with the throttle body gasket.

Quick Reply: 2001 accord idle problem