General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 accord v-tec automatic climate control a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 02:46 AM
Default 2001 accord v-tec automatic climate control a/c

My daughters Accord with climate control, no 1,2,3, or low, medium and hi on the controls, it says auto or full auto for selections. She went to work one morning with a/c working, when she left work her a/c didn't work, but the fan would blow with the **** either on the highest or lowest setting like it was on hi but the compressor never engaged the clutch. if I turned either **** the fan would stop blowing. one other thing, when I first turned the key to the on position, but not starting the motor, both the condenser and cooling fan would run for about five or six seconds and then shut off. I checked the fuses first, then Freon, fuses and Freon ok. read some threads and replaced the Blower Motor Resistor, compressor still didn't start, fan still acting the same. Can anybody please help me with my daughters Accord with climate control?

This is dp45

Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6 accord?

I attached a procedure to check for HVAC codes on the climate control. Let us know what code you get.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 accord v-tec automatic climate control a/c-hvac.jpg  
Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 AM

I changed the control unit on mine and works fine nu

Old 06-25-2016, 06:01 PM

I ran the diagnostic and it gave me an N

Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Default 2001 accord v-6 V-TEC automatic climate control a/c

Yes, my daughters car is a V-6. I ran the diagnostic that you sent me and it gave me an N.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

A code N refers to a problem in the blower motor circuit.

Did you replace the blower motor transistor? The part is similar to what is described in this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...96/#post243753

Also, where did you get the part, and what was the part number?

EDIT: I can start walking you through the electrical troubleshooting. Do you know how to test for voltage and continuity to ground using a volt meter?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 PM

yes, I believe so, the threads I was reading called it a "blower motor resistor", located right under the glove box. I purchased on from auto zone, part #JA1428, it looked the same but reading the thread you sent me to, one of the people said that they had bought defective one, Yes I can use a volt meter, I really would appreciate you walking me through this. I have the old one in front of me or I can go to my daughters car outside.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like Honda uses different parts for the sedan vs the coupe. Is this accord a 4 or 2 door?

I'll look up the tests and reply shortly.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:29 PM

Its a 4door

Old 06-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

The electrical connector has 4 wires and could hold 5. The wiring is numbered 1,3,4,5.

1 - Blue/Red
3 - Orange/Black
4 - Blue/Red
5 - Black

On the wire harness, check that 5-black has continuity to a good ground.

Turn key off. Use a jumper wire (like alligator clip) to connect pins 4 to 5 on the harness. Turn key on. The blower should run on high.

The next step is to pull the HVAC unit and unplug the 8-pin connector. You want to verify continuity on two wires between the HVAC unit to the blower transistor. HVAC Pin 5 orn/blk to pin Transistor Pin 3 orn/blk. Then HVAC Pin 6 blu/red to Transistor Pin 1. Also test for continuity from HVAC Pin 6 to ground. Kind of a pain to test, so you may want to do this last.

Next step is to test the actual transistor (old and new AZ one). The resistance between pins 1 and 4 should be 1.4-1.5 kohm.

Check #3 fuse (7.5 amp) in driver's side interior fuse box. It will be the third fuse in from the right and should be labeled in the owners manual/fuse lid as something like HVAC. Check both 7.5 amp fuses that are in the long row that are 3 fuses in.

I know this is kind of extensive, but let us know what you find on each one, or the ones you try.

Quick Reply: 2001 accord v-tec automatic climate control a/c