General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Honda Accord pulling to right

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
PilsMan
Unregistered
Default 2001 Honda Accord pulling to right

I just bought this 2001 Accord (42k miles) and it pulls to the right, ever so slightly.

All new tires. The alignment was checked twice by the Stealership. I've had tires cause pulling, so I swapped the backs to the fronts.

If I am cruising along, and gently nudge the wheel right, it just stays that way and veers right.
If I nudge it left just a bit, it pretty much centers back up.

Any known problems with the power steering or steering box that I may have to deal with?
It almost seems like the wheel moves easier to the right than to the left.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: 2001 Honda Accord pulling to right

99% chance its because of the crowning of the road.

They slant the road off, usually to the right, to let water roll off when it rains. Get on a 2 or 3 lane freeway and get in the far left lane. Chances are, itll now pull to the left.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First post a signature.

Could be worn bushings or tie-rod. They should have caught worn or broken parts in your 2 alignments though. No issues with the steering that I know of.

A friend of mine has an EP3 that would pull as if the alignment was off, but wasn't. The problem turned out to be the engine mounts. If you drive a manual (more signature info) try coasting on the highway with the clutch in to see if it tracks straight. If so, this may be your problem also.

Better yet, since you just bought it, bring it back to the dealer and tell them that you want your money returned if they can't get it right. That usually gets them to work a little harder to solve the problem.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
PilsMan
Unregistered

Nope, it's not the road. I suspect everything is good as far as tie rods and such with such a low mileage.

I think it may be the rotary valve, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Seems like motor mounts would cause a problem only when accelerating and inflicting torque. This pulls if you are just moving or cruising, and it doesn't get worse during braking.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Try throwing it in neutral to rule out the mounts.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: PilsMan

I've had tires cause pulling, so I swapped the backs to the fronts.
have you tried swapping the frt tires side to side ?? there is a bulletin on this 06-068 Jan 2007.

this is what yu do.....
Go to our DIY section there is a write up on the top page ( great site for diy service bulletin) log on the top link.. the user name is user . the password is password..once there go to the bottom of the page, click on it ,,it should be self explanatory from there on,, there are some write ups on your issue , I was just there

Old 09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
PilsMan
Unregistered

That link is no good anymore. Mine popped up with something totally unrelated to auto stuff.

I'll do the neutral thing tomorrow morning.

I'm going to swap front tires before I take it back, but I doubt two were bad out of the four, but you never can tell.

I may take off the belt for the pump and see if it drives in a straight line. I work on C130 avionics but get a little involved with hydraulics because of the autopilot system. The way the steering wheel reacts, it almost seems like there is an internal leak, just giving the right turn side a tiny bit of pressure.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: PilsMan

That link is no good anymore. Mine popped up with something totally unrelated to auto stuff.
yes it is,, you must havr been in thw wrong area......I jut tried it again and it works perfectly .
once you input user and passwork,, you got to go to bottom of the page (ARRC),

Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM
PilsMan
Unregistered

I guess I’m just a frikkin’ idiot or my computer hates me, as: I clicked on the DIY Section Clicked on this link: Top: [FAQ] showArrow("1/20/2007 2:40:33 AM",41104,26,false) Great site for DIY + Service Bulletins ( Hondadude ) Clicked on: http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/index....ain.autorefctr.. And it comes up to EBSCO publishing. I get no log in page. Then I tried to just go to the //arrc.epnet.com homepage and it says it’s under construction.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 AM

you ar there,, you got the right link.. when you click on it, a box appears which asks for user and password,, input those and another page opens up , go to the bottom ( arrc) .I just tried it on the link on your post and it still works,,
I wonder why you are not able to connect to it ..do you have acrobat reader installed on your computer ??

Quick Reply: 2001 Honda Accord pulling to right