General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Honda Accord - Starting problem

Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Exclamation 2001 Honda Accord - Starting problem

Hello, I am new to the site and have a question I thought I would ask yall to help diagnose.. I am somewhat of a newb with cars so bare with me..

2001 Honda Accord EX coupe

On Friday when I was leaving work my car wouldn't start.. It would crank and everything appeared to be normal sounding, it just wouldnt turn over.. After waiting about 10 minutes it eventually started and I got home fine and it started up fine throughout the weekend..

Monday came along, started fine in the morning and got me to work.. when i was leaving, same problem occurred.. I noticed the windows would roll down even when the key was out of the ignition which was weird..

Ive done a lil research and think it may be a fuel pump, ECU??, solenoid, possibly starter, even tho everything sounded completely normal, just wouldnt turn over..

Thanks in advance for your help, i really appreciate it.

Adam

Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

The term "not turning over" is confusing. That means the starter isn't spinning the engine, same as "cranking". If it's not cranking, then forget about fuel & spark, you have to look at the starter.

But I suspect what you really mean is it cranks but it doesn't start. You need to figure out whether it's lacking fuel or lacking spark. You can spray starter fluid (or throttlebody cleaner) into the throttle body & try starting. If it fires up for a second, then your spark plugs are firing OK.

Another thing to watch is the fuel pump. Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn to START. The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds then stop. It's a faint humming noise from inside the fuel tank, so you'll have to turn off the stereo & ventilation to hear it. That happens together with the check-engine light (bulb-check) and you'll hear the main relay clicking under the dash.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Yes, sorry. I believe it is cranking (because it sounds completely normal but just wont give the final budge and start up) but after waiting 10-15 minutes both times it fired up fine and then started normal for the next couple days.. so I think the starter is fine..

Any idea if I am looking at a very expensive fix here?

Thank you very much for your response

Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

If you have to replace the fuel pump yourself are you knowlegable enuff about cars to do this.?

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I am definitely not knowledgeable enough to do the fuel pump myself.. I'm not even sure if that is the problem.. I think it is narrowed down to fuel pump, spark plugs, or the ECU? not sure if thats what its called - just basing it on my research

Thank you

Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Could is possibly be the Main Relay??

Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

"could" be a lot of things, but testing needs to be done first. if you're not comfortable or don't have the constitution to do the testing yourself, you need to find someone who can help ya, or go to a repair shop...and hopefully the problem will duplicate itself so it can be properly diagnosed.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM

I am taking it to a friends family owned econo lube place tomorrow to see if they can diagnose it.. Just wanted to share my story with yall and see if it has happened to anyone else so I can narrow it down since it appears to be an intermittent problem.

Thank you

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

It might be as simple as the wiring harness coming unplugged from the distributor. Don't get scared off by the POSSIBILITY of a bad fuel pump.

Do the testing, or if you can, hang around & watch them check it at your friends lube-place.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

....on a pure guess (never replace parts on a guess)....main relay. Car sits all day in the sun with the windows up. Will not start. So you sit there with the door open going "what the heck is wrong with my car". Then since the door is open and or windows down, cool air is flowing thru the car....and bam, then the car starts.

In the am, get into the habit of turning everything off (blower motor, radio, ect) , turn the key to on, you should be able the hear the FP prime for 2~3 seconds. Then in the afternoon, do the same....when the car will not start, are you hearing the FP prime?

For the windows....pretty sure it is normal. Check the owners manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Honda Accord - Starting problem