General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 1.8 vtec stalling/cutting out and check engine light/engine management light on

Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Default 2002 1.8 vtec stalling/cutting out and check engine light/engine management light on

Hi problem just started today with my 2002 uk accord 1.8 v-tec. It had been unused for about 3 weeks due to being snowed in and when on a 30 mile journey the check engine light came on and now it won`t idle and cuts out/stalls. It drives fine with no other problems apart from cutting out when slowing down or idling. Any suggestions? I read somewhere that the salt on the roads can clog up a fuel tank valve i think it was evap or elap valve but would this cause the check engine light and the cutting out? This problem has never happened before

Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Your check engine light turning on, means the engine computer detected a specific problem and stored a specific code in the computer.

You should find out the code and post it on here. That canister shouldn't cause your car to run poorly.

In the US, there is a 16-pin connector that will hook up to a standard code checker. We can stop by an autoparts store and have them read for free. I don't know if the UK accords have this connector. It would be under the steering wheel.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM

got check engine light checked today it showed the EGR valve fault so took it off and it was clogged up and stuck open so cleaned and lubricated it and the cars running fine again

Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Just because there seems to be more UK people joining up, I'm curious...

Do the cars have the same OBD-2 diagnostic hookup? Are there car-parts chain stores who can read the error codes? Do you have to go to a mechanic/repair shop just to read the codes?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 AM

I presume it would be the same connector although its down at the passenger side footwell which would be your drivers side. We checked autodata which said it should be under the steering wheel like you said but it wasn`t for some reason. I don`t know of any parts places that would do diagnostics checks usually just a garage that would do it. I took it to a friends place so got it checked for next to nothing which was a bonus along with the it just being a clogged valve so no parts to buy!
This site was the one that came up 1st when I searched for Accord forums although I have now discovered a UK Accord owners site which also has a forum on it. The egr seems to be a common thing with hondas, my wife has a Jazz (Fit in USA) and I have to take it off and clean it every now and again.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, EGR clogging up IS common.

Autodata might be talking about a LHD car. I always wondered if that data connector moved over with the steering wheel, but I guess it stays on the left side of the car.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by 78gaw
1.8 v-tec.
that's your prob. right there!

lol I don't like anything smaller then a 2.0 with honda engines.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by g22cd5
that's your prob. right there!

lol I don't like anything smaller then a 2.0 with honda engines.
Then you probably don't want to know how much gasoline costs in other countries...

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Supper Moderator

I know I was just messin around.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Supper Moderator

if it's a 1.8 I think it should be a b18c5!...that would be cool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 1.8 vtec stalling/cutting out and check engine light/engine management light on