General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Accord Air Filter Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Question 2002 Accord Air Filter Box Question

TGIF,

I have a friend who bought a 2002 Accord SE Sedan. In looking under the hood yesterday, everything looks pretty good, however the air filter needs changed for sure.

Next to the air cleaner box was the tube that takes air in from the engine compartment, but it was not connected to anything. It looks to me like there might be another U tube piece missing that connects to the bottom of the air cleaner box, and to the piece sitting in the engine compartment?

Anyone suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Perhaps resonator has been removed?

Suggest going to Majestic Honda website and look at air intake assy for clues to what's missing.

good luck

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a diagram for the intake on a 2002 4cyl.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the resonator chamber, hidden in the fender below the aircleaner box.

#6 is the connection into the aircleaner box. The other hole, farther forward, is where the air intake horn fits.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed pics guy's, it looks like the resonator box is missing. My friend also recently had a fender bender on the front passengers side of the car, maybe something happened then.

Next question, what does the resonator box do, and what happens if you run without it.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

The resonator box is like a "muffler" for intake noise. DOT rules about noise apply to the whole car, not just the exhaust sound.

Lots of people remove them, either to install cold-air intakes, or just to simplify collision repair.

That space where the resonator box is located can get wet and dirty from stuff splashed up from the tire. If you don't have the resonator, your air filter can get dirty more quickly. Or it can get wet. But really, you can probably figure out how to create some tubing to get air from a cleaner location.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'd imagine its a pretty expensive part from the dealer. If you decide you need one I would go to the junkyard and pick one up, probably get one there for $20 or less

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 PM

People take them out all the time. Just makes your car a little louder during acceleration. Was the first "mod" I ever did on my car.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

So if you take the resonator out , is any mod required to run a pipe up to the piece #5 in the diagram, so air intake comes from the engine compartment?

It does seem without the resonator and the air filter intake so low, water and additional dirt might be a problem.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2014, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Here is a diagram for the intake on a 2002 4cyl.

In this diagram, what is the name and function of item number twelve? Is that just another silencer that could be removed without consequence when doing the resonator removal mod?

Quick Reply: 2002 Accord Air Filter Box Question