General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 accord se 4cy , AC not working

Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Default 2002 accord se 4cy , AC not working

Good evening, I bought a 2002 accord 4 months ago on top of all other repairs already done, ac was not working, had it checked was told the compressor was bad so i switch the compressor ( for a rebuilt compressor at AdvanceAuto ) now the compressor SEEMS to work, switch works, compressor engages and keeps pressure but still no cold air, not hot but not cool air either, need help , ideas....anybody knows what might be going on, ? IS IT THE COMPRESSOR OR SOMETHING ELSE, was told that the condensor ? don't know what to do

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Give us some detail on what parts you replaced. Also, the procedure you followed, like evacuating the system, the amount of R134a you added, etc..

Do you have an a/c manifold?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks for reply......I took the car to a local shop to get AC checked, y installed gauges told me it was low, try charging and that gave me some reading that it wasnt good , the compressor was bad , ok. So I called my mechanic and he told me he works with AC , took car to him checked it with this big AC unit system that did all the process in one , he did the vacum on it , ran leak test, oil and charged it ( charged according to specs for car ) it would not work, he told me also the compressor was bad, so money was an issue i bought a rebuild compressor from advance, installed it , also replaced the accumalator, and he did the process again ( not sure the sequence ) vacum, leak test ( good), oil , charged it, the compressor was engaging, keeping pressure, but no cold air, and thats were im at now he saids replace condensor but i just dont know now what to do, any idea or suggetion would be greatfull

Last edited by JRBB; 07-18-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

When the AC is running, check the AC pipes in the engine compartment. One of them should be getting nice & cold when it's running, at least back where it gets close to the firewall.

If the compressor is running, pressures are OK (high and low side, not just high); then I would start to suspect other things like the motor that runs the air-blend door, or the cable that goes out to the water valve in the engine bay.

In other words, check to rule out the heater being the problem. (Heater still on, heating the air back up after the AC cools it off.)

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM

If you only replaced the compressor, then you need to check your system flow. A commonly overlooked problem is the orifice tube. They get clogged over the years with grey goop. This restricts flow. Low flow will cause poor operation. If it isn't that, it could be overcharged or undercharged, have a blockage elsewhere, there are literally a million possible problems.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Stang, that's exactly why you want them to watch BOTH high and low side pressures to evaluate the health of the AC system.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

I just want to add one more thing to check. Be sure the heater control valve is actually closing all the way.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM

I get that Jim, but the average joe doesn't have a good set of guages, just the little cheapo that comes on the install hose. Even if they had a decent set, most folks can't read them. Hell, it took me quite a while to understand them when I was using them everyday. But one day it just clicked. I've just seen many orifice tubes that were the bane of the AC system problem, and always overlooked.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Thank u all for ur suggestions , unfortunantly between work and the bad weather in NC I haven't had a chance to look into but defenantly look at all those thing, what I recently bought the open and close valve for compressor warranty, according to autoparty store my car ( 2002 accord ) don't show orifice tube it shows valve, again thank u and hope to come back with good news

Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Let me start by thanking u guys for ur replys and suggestions, Ive been out of town and didnt have way to do update, but Im happy to say my AC is working, i had purchase condenser and after reading suggestions i went and purchase the expansion valve since i had to purchase anyway for compresser warranty, the only thing i notice know is some lite vibration ( on steering wheel ) but gets alittle stronger when is not moving, could that be from the ac itself, but again THANK you guys for ur help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 accord se 4cy , AC not working