General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Honda Accord front wheel vibrates at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Default 2002 Honda Accord front wheel vibrates at high speed

It has been like this for more than a year. Lower speed is ok, but I can still feel the vibration. The vibration caused louder noise from about 45 mph. The feeling is that the wheel is not completely round. I checked with two mechanics and they both said it is not a bearing problem. They think it is tire related, but I rotated and balanced tires, vibration still comes from the same wheel (at least that's what I feel). The tires still have quite some threads on them. I have not tried alignment yet. What are the possible problems?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

so you're saying you know exactly which wheel/tire it is coming from?

if so, find a shop that can do a road force balancing on the tire...i suspect you have a separation starting.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

So the vibration follows the tire when you move it to a different corner of the car?

Move it to the rear. Lift that corner & spin the tire. You can SEE a bent rim.

If that's not bent, then I'm with the Dr. Find someplace that can do road-force balancing.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Thank you Jim. The thing is that I have rotated the tires multiple times and the vibration seems always coming from the same place. If this is tire or wheel related, shouldn't it get better when I rotate them, unless all four have the same problem?

What is road-force balancing?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

where do you think the vibration is coming from? Was there any work done on the car right before this started happening?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM

I think the vibration comes from the left front wheel. I don't recall that I had major repair or accident before this happened. I think it started gradually. Rotation didn't help so I don't think is a problem on a particular wheel or tire. The vibration seems always come from left front even after several rotations. The steering wheel always vibrates a little.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

It's starting to sound like you have an issue with the Axle/Half-Shaft.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
so you're saying you know exactly which wheel/tire it is coming from?

if so, find a shop that can do a road force balancing on the tire...i suspect you have a separation starting.
No, I don't think it is tire or wheel (but I could be wrong) because after a rotation, the vibration still comes from the left front corner.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
It's starting to sound like you have an issue with the Axle/Half-Shaft.
Can you elaborate on this problem? I went to two mechanics (both I think are good), they only told me the bearing is ok, could be tire related. They didn't mention axle/half-shaft problems.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

A fairly common reason for steering wheel vibration is worn, bent, out of balance, or otherwise out of tolerance axles.

Ironically, just today I finally got around to replacing the front tires of our 2001 Accord which we bought last August. I've suspected the left front tire of causing vibration since we got it, and the new set of skins I put on there today solved the vibration problem completely; it's like driving a different car.

This is a thumbs down vote for Mastercraft tires.

Quick Reply: 2002 Honda Accord front wheel vibrates at high speed