General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Honda Accord -- T-boned

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM
W77
Default 2002 Honda Accord -- T-boned

I couldn't think of a place to ask this, so I figured why no the HAF!

A little while back I got t-boned in my 2002 Honda Accord by someone going 55+ mph. I've been told the car is wrecked, and there's no point in fixing it.

However, the car still runs perfectly fine as far as I can tell, and the part of the car that didn't get hit is in great condition. (The frame is a little bent and the bed is crunched, which is probably why it's "totaled".)

I'm not the best with cars, so I'm wondering what I should do with the car to get the most money out of it. (The car has ~180k miles.) I'm 17 years old and this was my only method of transportation, so now I need to get some money for an old pickup or something.

I'm thinking that I want to list it on Craigslist and sell it part-by-part, but I was told I should just sell the whole thing. How much could I get for it if I do that?

Here's some pictures:

And for kicks, here's the other persons car:

Thanks guys!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Omg, I'm just glad you are ok and lived to tell us about this. If the car is 10 years old and has 180k on it, there's no point in fixing it since its bb value is going to be below the cost of (major) body repairs. In addition, there may also be phantom problems wrong with the mechanics since I highly doubt you tried to test drive this thing after this collision. Starting the engine and running the car properly are two different things.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure who was at fault, but what happened with your or the other driver's insurance?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM
W77

Thanks ExpLo I definitely got very lucky. If I was .5 seconds slower this might have played out very differently. And you're right, I've never truly driven the thing. I did drive it out of the wrecker place and onto some towing thing to get it out of there though.

And I'll have to tell the story before I get into that PAhonda.

I was at an intersection that was only a two way stop. I stopped, but there was a huge work truck parked off to the left completely obstructing my view. (Imagine a power truck with huge stabilizers sticking out the side.) I edged forward, and still didn't see anyone, so I went forward. Next thing you know, the other driver was right there.
At this point I floored it to avoid the car, and if the other driver would have braked or swerved this could have all been avoided, but she was 82 years old and should not have been driving.

Needless to say the cops got called and we both went to the hospital, and while I was in the back of the ambulance the police officer slipped a $140 ticket in my pocket for "failing to yield".
So this is legally my fault, and my insurance is now gonna be ~$2000/year for PLPD if I get another car. (I've never been in an accident or been pulled over prior to this.)

I'm taking the ticket to court however (and I'm bringing MANY written accounts from people who saw the truck and had the same issue), and I would like to sue the truck company. (They didn't have any cones or anything up either. I don't know the law 100%, but I feel as if I have a case.)

My insurance covered the $150 for towing, but it appears as if that's all they're gonna be covering.

Last edited by W77; 08-19-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 PM

thats about 10k in fixing cost and even then I wouldnt want to drive it ever again. Part it out and get a new car.

This happened to my 2000 accord but on the passenger side. Almost the exact same area of impact. It was not good. This is not a fixable car

It's a unibody car and technically has no frame. It can be fixed but that is dependent on how deep your pockets are and how much you really want it.

You have worth in this car though; Wheels, engine, interior components ect are all things other people are looking for.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 08-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

So you don't have collision insurance on your car?

You can't drive that car, and it is not repairable.

You may want to call some junkyards to find out what they would pay for your car.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM
W77

I figured repair was pretty much out of the question.

How much do you guys think I could get out of this if I sold all of the parts that I could and scrapped the rest? I realize that I probably won't be able to sell every part, and I might end up just having to sell the entire car as it is.

Engine is good.

Tranny and rest of the stuff under the hood is all good and has been maintained well.

Radio works fine

6 Disc Changer in trunk works fine

Wheels and rims are good

Back window driver window (I think) and both passenger windows are good and 2/4 of the window motors are good.

Hood and sunroof are good.

All I know is that between the money I have, the money I'm getting soon, and the money I get from this car, I need to have around $1000-$1500.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Call some salvage yards and see what they will give your for it, ask about how it is now and if you sold some parts first on if they car.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 AM

engine can go to the right buyer for 3-500 + trans maybe 800

wheels could go for 120-200

then sell the rest to a salvage yard. However, they will give you less if the engine and wheels are gone. And it will take a good amount of time to find the right buyer for these items listed above.

Also your 6 CD changer is indash not in the trunk. (At least judging by the pictures thats the same unit I have)

Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
W77

That's a lot; are you sure I could get that much?

And the disc changer is in the trunk.

Quick Reply: 2002 Honda Accord -- T-boned