General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord burning oil help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 PM
giantsfan1281
Unregistered
Default 2003 Accord burning oil help

Hi I have a 2003 Accord Sedan EX w\89k miles and it burns a lot of oil ( I add about 2 quarts between oil changes which I do every 3k miles). I have the extended warranty honda can't figure out whats wrong with it and want to do a full engine dissasembly which may or may not be covered under the warranty. What do you gusy recommend?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure that it is covered before you get any work done.

Also make sure that you get it in writing as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM
giantsfan1281
Unregistered

They are saying I have to sign a consent stating that if it is done something covered under warranty that I will have to pay $350 no way around it. Anyone run into this problem with oil burning or extended warranty issues with honda care

Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The K24 motor (assuming you have the 4 cylinder in there) seems to have a lot of issues popping up in the long term lately...

What exactly is included in this service? Are they just going to take it apart and assemble it again? Replace any parts?

$350 for an engine rebuild sounds like a great deal, but I'd figure out exactly what they're going to do and why you have to pay if it's under warranty. And yes, get everything in writing.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM

I get to tell my 2003 Accord story which is now running great with a used 2005 engine. I had spent many hours looking up the mysterious oil consumption Honda Has and they are mostly 2003 Accords. My Accord started going through just below 1 quart per thousand and around 70,000 miles and other than not having the power it once did was trouble free. At a few hundred miles over 100,000 I checked the oil level which was two quarts low in a short time and filled it up. Two days later(80 miles or so) the check engine light came on showing the cam sensor code which the local auto parts retrieved for me. I drove about two more miles and the timing gear slack adjuster failed and the pistons hit the valves.
I had Honda disassemble it and said that it was very low on oil which caused the slack adjuster to fail and it was my problem. They also said it was imposable that it consumed that much oil in 80 miles with no sign of a leak and never told me how much oil. I was told when I asked previously that unless it takes more than a quart per thousand Honda considered it normal. The strange part is the oil light did not come on. I am taking the old engine apart to scrape the aluminum and it has about a quart of oil in it. Some spilled and it probably had two quarts left.
Getting to where the oil is going. I ran into just a few post and not enough to come to a conclusion. The first I read was the V TEC uses oil period. I found a few post saying one of the cylinders was not properly machined and was an egg shape that gets worse from miles. Some say it is the PCV. The most interesting is something I read on another brand of vehicle with the VTEC and that because of the way the cam timing performs it sucks exhaust gases into the engine for better performance. Their vehicles were running through so much oil right off the dealer lots they had to tell their customers not to the drive vehicles until they could find a solution. They found out the catalytic converter parts were getting sucked into the engine and that is the VTEC part.
I don’t think Honda is going to admit there is a problem with the 2003 Accords but with the cars being six year old now the amount of cars with a problems may become notable.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM

350 sounds like the cost to take it apart. Who pays to put it back together?

The usually course of action from reading the post on here and the other Honda forum is they do a oil log which you bring your car in for and I think have to pay for, To determine if you use more than a quart per thousand miles. With changing your oil every 3,000 miles you may have avoided any engine damage from a low oil level. I was going longer with the synthetic stuff. According to the Honda Techs by the time the oil light comes on you have permanent damage.