General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 accord - power steering hose broken

Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM

I paid $95 for an OEM hose, from an online dealership, and changed it myself. It's not easy, mainly because of where it is. The metal part of the hose is held on to the frame cross member by two brackets, and the metal part also goes through the rear engine mount. As the metal part is so long, and there is limited space, there is no easy way to get the new hose in, without either bending the metal part enough so you can wiggle it through the engine mount, or use a jack to support the engine, and unbolt the mount and pull the metal part out from under it. The official way to change the hose, is to unbolt the mount, but I used the bend and wiggle method. There is also a pressure sensor attached to the metal part. Since the hose is impossible to see from under the car, you have to do all this lying down on top of the engine, and reaching down all the way to the frame. If you love a challenge, this is a good job for you, Haha.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
d0n

Alright I definitely got my answer... Definitely not doing this myself and paying those 120, thanks a lot everyone

Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 PM

I am having a hard time removing the high pressure power steering line on my 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder engine. The flare nut location is hard to get to. Not sure if I can even hack saw the line off without damaging something else in the process. What I find odd is the new line is a 16mm or 5/8. The one on the car is slightly larger (17mm i think). Should I get a flex head flare nut wrench to remove this? There is a diagram here https://www.heeltoeauto.com/files/pi...l_bulletin.pdf but they are not specific as to how to remove the flare nut.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by cgwatson View Post
I am having a hard time removing the high pressure power steering line on my 2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder engine. The flare nut location is hard to get to. Not sure if I can even hack saw the line off without damaging something else in the process. What I find odd is the new line is a 16mm or 5/8. The one on the car is slightly larger (17mm i think). Should I get a flex head flare nut wrench to remove this? There is a diagram here https://www.heeltoeauto.com/files/pi...l_bulletin.pdf but they are not specific as to how to remove the flare nut.
When I did the lines on my 99 Accord, I broke them off flush with the flare nut, and used a socket with a swivel on it. There's just not enough room for a wrench to get any leverage on it. Once I had them off, it was just a matter of getting the line on, and tightening them up as best as you can. That's been 2 years now for the return line, and 1 year for the pressure line with no issues. Needless to say, this is really a PIA job to do, due to limited room in the engine bay.