General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 EX windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Default 2003 EX windshield wiper problem

My 2003 Honda Accord EX sedan driverside wiper doesn't contour well to the windshield leaving a big spot un-wiped. I've tried several different brands of wiper with minimal success. Is this a wiper problem, or a windshield problem? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Are you replacing the rubber insert or the whole blade?

If you're replacing the insert, do you have the metal strips in the right way?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM

I replace the whole blade. Right now I have Goodyear blades, purchased at Costco. I don't remember the other brands I've used, but it has been like this for a while.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what to tell you. Whatever brand, there should be metal strips right there in/alongside the rubber. The spring & curvature of those strips is what controls the coverage of the wiper.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

you windshield is dirty, well dirt you can't see anyway. buy a can of "barkeepers friend" in the home supply isle of most grocery stores, or even home D or Lowes. get a scrubby pad and make a paste with the powder. wet down the windshield and do this in the shade if possible and try not to get the mix on the paint or plastic parts. scrub away (i use a drill with a buffing pad) do one side at a time. you'll be able to feel the difference with your hand. install new blades and use some rain X, optional.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM

I'll give that a try. Thank you very much.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM

If you still have the original blades, just buy some refills (rubber inserts) for those for about $10. Most aftermarket blades have too much contour, and don't work well with the Accord's flat windshield.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks, EXV6. If the Barkeeper's friend doesn't work, I'll try your idea except that I no longer have the original wipers. Do I need to buy from Honda? Hopeully not.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM

If you can find some of the old metal type blades that might work. It's the solid rubber type, with the contour on them, that don't work well with the flat windshield. Personally, I would buy the Honda blades, because refills will be cheap, from then on. I usually order some from HandAaccessories.com, along with the rest of my maintenance items.They are less than $10. I don't know if the Honda refills would fit in the aftermarket blades. I haven't found any aftermarket blades that you can buy refills for. I'm not about to buy entire blades each time I need new wipers, at those prices.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 02-20-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM

I had the same problem, tried every wiper and nothing worked, so I went to the dealer and got the original Honda blades and still missed a huge spot so one of the tech guys pulled it in the back and tightened the bolt on the wiper arm (not windshield wiper but wiper arm) and it now wipes about 90% of the windshield. Dont know why I didnt think of this myself but hope this helps you!

Quick Reply: 2003 EX windshield wiper problem