General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 honda accord abs and brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Default 2003 honda accord abs and brake light on

hellow im new to this forums and so far its awsome, i was wondering if anyone would help with info on a problem im having with my car,its a 2003 honda accord ex 4clynder so yesterday i had both the front hub-bearings replaced on the front wheels as im leaving the car sounds good no issues but after a few blocks the abs and brake light turn on and know stay on.what could be causing this could it be the new hub-bearings,speed sensoror any thing else please any info would be apriciated highly,i dont belive the hubbearings have a side to be installed on they look the same on both faces ive herd that thier are some on some cars that have a plastic on them wich help read the abs and speed but this were the same all around ,if any one can help with info thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

If your light was the ABS light, then I would consider the work done on the hub/bearing. If the brake light (the one that lights up when you pull on the emergency brake) is on, then I would check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. Also see if the float is stuck.

I wonder if the shop bled the brake lines? You could always take it back to the shop that did the work.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

They probably had to unplug the ABS sensors in order to remove the knuckles & press the bearings. If you're lucky, they just forgot to plug them back in. Follow the wire from each front knuckle & look for torn wires, pinched, or unplugged.

There's also the possibility they damaged the sensors.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Default abs brake light

thanks guys i did take the car back to the shop and they rechecked it took it all apart in front of me and all looks good ,the oil level is full and brake work good i think maybe they damage one of the sensors but know i have to order those and try to figure wich one and hope thats the issue if any one else has an idea please let me know thanks for the replies.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Before ordering those parts, tell us which light is on. Is this the brake light that turns on when you pull up the emergency brake? The ABS light? Or the brake lamp warning light?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Default abs light and brake light

the light that is on is the abs and the e-brake light the honda is a 2003 accord ex model

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Default abs light and e brake light

any help out there? for this issue

Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

If the 03 is similar to the older accords, then having the emergency brake light turn on will cause the abs light to turn on after a certain period of time.

There are only two sources that cause the e-brake light to turn on that I know of.

1. The switch on the emergency brake. You may have to remove the center console to check to see if the switch is stuck.

2. The fluid level sensor that is part of the float in the brake master cylinder. Check that the electrical connections coming from the cap are clean and not loose. I would do this first.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I think 2003 is the same, so the handbrake lamp staying on WILL trigger an ABS error. The reason is if you DO drive around with the handbrake on, the ABS is supposed to disable itself (temporarily).

That handbrake warning lamp will also come on with low brake fluid.

But IIRC, 2003 doesn't have a float-switch in the brake master cylinder. It's some kind of electronic liquid-sensor in the side of the reservoir. Of course, that sensor can fail too but first check the brake-fluid level.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Default brake light and abs light on

like i said the fluid level is full this only happend after changing the hubbearings im thinking maybe the sensors

Quick Reply: 2003 honda accord abs and brake light on