General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Accord - Timing Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Default 2004 Accord - Timing Chain Question

The Malfunction indicator light has been glowing off and on for a couple of weeks now. I repeat, it does not stay on always. The car only gets driven a few miles a day. Mechanic, who I usually trust, told me the code came back that it was something related to the "timing correlation" and would have to spend about an hour diagnosing the problem. I gave him the okay and now he has called to say the timing chain has skipped a few links and has been stretched (or something to that effect), that you have to buy the kit from Honda for $607 and that including labor the job will be around $1200.
This is an independent mechanic. Not a Honda dealer.

I have no reason to disbelieve our mechanic but something about myself is always reluctant to just say "go ahead and replace it" without doing some research. Thus I am here. Any thoughts? Is the price accurate? Is it too risky to not get this done immediately?

Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Assumption: you have a 4-cylinder engine in your 2004 Accord.

While I'm not saying it is impossible for a timing chain to skip a tooth, I've never seen it and I don't believe I've ever heard of a documented case where this happened, even if the engine has well north of 300,000 miles on the clock.

Question #1: How many miles on your engine?
Question #2: How does the engine run?

If the chain had in fact jumped a few links, the engine should run like crap and your fuel economy would be pretty lousy as well.

Long story short, it may be time for a second opinion, maybe even from a Honda dealership.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:07 PM

It is a 4 cylinder and it has approx 80,000 miles on it. Maybe I should've added that when we brought it in for an inspection/oil change earlier this month he told us the oil was low enough that it didn't even show on the dip stick. He said today that the stretching may have been caused by lack of oil. It seems to be running okay to me , but most days it has been run less than a mile.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jeffy3
It is a 4 cylinder and it has approx 80,000 miles on it. Maybe I should've added that when we brought it in for an inspection/oil change earlier this month he told us the oil was low enough that it didn't even show on the dip stick. He said today that the stretching may have been caused by lack of oil. It seems to be running okay to me , but most days it has been run less than a mile.
In theory at least, low oil can cause a chain to stretch, however, by the time any significant stretching has occured, I'm betting the bottom end (crank and bearings) of the engine would be toast. Now I am doubly convinced you should seek a second opinion.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

There is a lot of information on this forum and the web (internet) regarding P0341 and stretched or worn timing (cam) chain.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Redbull is right, if in fact it is code P0341 then the chain has stretched past the limit of the tensioner. Low/dirty oil can cause this on these motors. The computer expects to see the camshafts and the crankshaft at certain positions throughout the rev band and when it doesn't this code sets. P0341: CMP Sensor and CKP Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

So what y'all are saying is, "the chain may be stretched" not, "the chain is stretched AND has skipped a tooth or two". Yes, no?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
So what y'all are saying is, "the chain may be stretched" not, "the chain is stretched AND has skipped a tooth or two". Yes, no?
extremely unlikely the chain has skipped a tooth...Honda knows about their stretched timing chain problem.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
extremely unlikely the chain has skipped a tooth...Honda knows about their stretched timing chain problem.
Ahhh, okay. A chain stretched enough to cause cam sensors to read out of tolerance is something I can easily believe; a chain stretched to cause it to skip a couple of links (per the OP's mechanic) is beyond my comprehension.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely (highest probability) based on his original post, is that he has P0341. P0341 is directly related to cam phase (camshaft phase plates are not in sync with each other). The code will appear if the chain is stretched or timing is off.

If the cam chain is stretched or worn, the cam can skip teeth. Not saying that his cam has skipped teeth for sure.

Also, read FredSVT's comments in these links:

Post #3 and 5 in this link:
Camshaft Position Sensor - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Drive Accord Honda Forums - View Single Post - Car stalls when idling. Code P0341
postcount=16

If there is a P0341, the issue should be taken care of sooner than later, as it will not get better with time. Instead, he may end up with an engine that needs replacement due to bent valve, etc.

Quick Reply: 2004 Accord - Timing Chain Question