General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 CDTI starting issues plus loss of power and exhaust fumes coming back up intake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Default 2004 CDTI starting issues plus loss of power and exhaust fumes coming back up intake!

Hi Folks,

I know its my first post but would really appreciate some advice on this ongoing issue with this motor. Its always been well serviced but has suffered from injector blow, premature timing chain wear, rear rotors/bushes, failure of hatch back motor, cracked manifold, and within the last week (and only fixed 6 months ago yet again another blowing injector... honestly the list goes on and on I wish I had not have brought this car!.....

Anyway, for around a year now this car has struggled to start, sometimes, first turn and others several. In addition, it pulls strong up until 2100rpm then, mainly in 4th gear it will hold back for some reason. There has been a few occasions under heavy loads (family in car 4 bikes on roof climbing up hill) where you can hear a massive amount of air rushing through what I believe to be the turbo. However, this is intermittent as I could do exactly the same just after and no such event happens.

No engine management light is on and no faults are issued on ecu.....

So far I have changed fuel filter (Honda) = no change and more recently I have cleaned the maf. Funny thing was that there was a small amount of oil within the intake pipe that connects to the maf and some actually within the maf itself. I have searched long and hard and have still no answer for this. When I purchased the car it was overfull with oil and can only assume this created enough back pressure to spit some back??? I assumed the maf was faulty because a friend of mine told me if you disconnect the maf power connector whilst the engine is running a difference in engine sound should be present.. This is not the case with mine as it sounds the same. Anyway, after I clean the maf I started the engine with airbox off to see if any engine oil was present whilst running. It did not seem be the case but when I switch the engine off exhaust gases start to appear from the intake pipe thats connected to the maf???? This might explain why is struggling to start and is obviously fouling the maf but any ideas why??

I assumed it to be the egr but have undone 4 nuts on top but it pulls up 10mm and no further... Is it stuck open and thats why it wont remove or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether here. The car smokes slightly upon a difficult start-up but is otherwise fine.

I thank-you for any help given.

Cheers

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM

That issue sounds timing /valves to me. But i know much less about these motors than most of the peeps here. How many miles on the car?One thing I do know is somewhere near 160k Hondas are notorious for stretched timing chains and blown tensioners. That would cause a few of the issues you listed and if it has more than that and hasn't had the chain and tensioner replaced you might want to look in to it. Bad valves would show a consistent power problem.

I'd sit tight and wait for one of the gurus to answer you though. I am by no means an expert.

Oh, I had a friend that popped a vacuum line on his turbo once, caused similar power problems, no backfiring or oil in the intake though.

Last edited by Incognitjo; 09-02-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Remembered that turbo thing.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Motor has 143k on it. Chain and tension-er done at 130k. The problem is inconsistent with power but does feel generally sluggish. Its mainly issue with start up.

I tried to take off egr today but the previous idiot that had ago has rounded the 12mm nut off on the bottom of the exhaust intake . I tried various methods to get it loose, no chance. This means I would have to take the whole rail off forget that. If it is egr I'm thinkin of going down the delete option. Has anyone any experience of this? Can it be done leaving the old clogged up unit in situ and any idea of cost?

Many thanks