General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 EX AC blows warm air

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:43 PM
Default 2004 EX AC blows warm air

Hi
Last week my AC started to blow warm air. It worked great before then. I have the single control Vents (don't have the dual control AC) . I also don't have the factory radio to do the self HVAC diagnostics. Serpentine belt was replaced today as it was looking pretty crappy. Doesn't look like the ac clutch is engaging (spinning) when the AC is turned on. When I push the AC button, the engine sound changes and it sounds like the condenser is going on, but the clutch is not engaging. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

If the compressor clutch is not spinning, the next step is to unplug the compressor. Use a volt meter to verify you are getting 12V to the compressor when you try to turn on the a/c. Do this with the engine running and be careful not to have the harness/meter near any moving parts like the serpentine belt or the fans.

Do both fans on the radiator turn on when you try to turn on the a/c?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:01 AM

With engine off reach down and spin the clutch, it should spin by hand. Second, with engine off disconnect the single wire to the AC field coil and use a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the single wire, it will click if the field coil is working, if it does click then leave jumper connected and try to spin the clutch (it should not spin with power to the field coil). If it does not click then the field coil has failed and not engaging the clutch, thus no compression and no AC. If you have someone help you can turn the key to the run position, have the other person get near the compressor while the person in the car turns the AC on and off. It should click, but the fans will be running too so this method is less reliable. It is common for the field coil to fail on that year car and the coil can be replaced without replacing the compressor and opening the system which reduces cost because you might not need the compressor and also because the system does not have to be drained, vaccum pumped and recharged. Just some insight for you, not that that is the issue but it is common and the first place I would diagnose. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 AM

Ok Thank you both. I don't want to sound like a dumb female, but is this something I can do myself (unplug the compressor) and use the volt meter? Where is a good place to buy a volt meter? (amazon) Do you have a diagram of where the field coil is? I just went out an could spin the clutch by hand. Husband is away on a business trip and I don't have a mechanic. Guess I better find one - huh? since I have 2 Hondas that are close to 10 years old. Thanks

Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Inexpensive ($15 or $20) digital multi-meter from a place like AutoZone or maybe even WalMart would work OK for this kind of testing. It should have settings to measure voltage and also to measure resistance.

Guys like PA or Turtle or me can talk you through testing - setting the meter & putting the meter-wires on whatever you're testing.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Ok I bought a digital multimeter. Both fans on the radiator do come on when I turn the ac on.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:51 PM

OK I got some help. Unplugged the compressor and checked that it was getting over 12V (more like 13+) with the car running. Turned car off and ran the jumper wire from positive terminal of battery to the field coil wire and NO Click. So my field Coil is bad? Where can I buy a new one? Thanks guys!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to look at the wiring diagram when I get home. Is there only one wire at the compressor connector? If not, what wire color were you testing? What did you use for the black meter lead on for ground?

Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

I was just starting to write a bunch of instructions - you beat me to it.

Car batteries are actually more than 13 volts, even though everyone calls them "12v".

With the jumper wire from the battery, it doesn't click. Did you check to see whether it still spins by hand?

#12 in the picture is called the "stator set" from parts drawings. Dealer, or I'm not sure what other place you might buy that.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 EX AC blows warm air-2004-ac-compressor.gif  
Old 08-17-2016, 03:50 PM

Check with your dealer regarding the field coil. Also if your car happens to still have less then 100k on it (although I would guess not), but if it does find out if your car falls under a 100k extension warranty on the field coil. The last few I have done ran about 150 to 175 for the coil.

Quick Reply: 2004 EX AC blows warm air