General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Manual Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2004 Manual Transmission Help

Hi everyone, I hope some of you can shed some light on my problem.

I have a 2004 Accord LX 5-speed manual transmission. 187K. I recently replaced the clutch pedal...bracket snapped. The other day when coming to a stop, the clutch didn't engage and the car stalled. When I tried to put in gear, it grinded like I wasn't depressing the clutch pedal. I was able to back out of traffic and cut it off. While on hold with a towing company I tried it again and was able to get it home.

It now goes for a few gear changes then starts screwing up. Seems to me if the clutch was gone it wouldn't work at all instead of intermittently.

I really don't have much in the way of funds these days for repairs and was wondering if you had any ideas.

Thank you!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

There is a reservoir for the clutch hydraulics. Check that it is full of fluid. If it is really low, check around the master and the slave cylinder for leaks.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

If the fluid is low, one possible place for a leak is past the master piston shaft. It leaks through the firewall & soaks into the carpet backing - doesn't really make the exposed face of the carpet very wet.

It's also possible to get air into the clutch hydraulic system without really leaking fluid OUT.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the replies. I assume the reservoir is small and located next to the brake reservoir. If so, the fluid is proper.

?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you're correct.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Manual Transmission Help-clutch-system.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

at this point, i guess i'll be seeking a qualified repair tech. ugh!

thanks for your help.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It is very difficult to understand what you are trying to say happened. Its confusing. However it doesn't sound like you have a transmission problem, it sounds like you have a clutch problem.

So you broke the clutch pedal off somehow, but that was fixed - right? And that was some time ago, right?

So now you've got another problem, and it began when you came to a stop, pushed in the clutch, but the clutch didn't disengage - is that correct? So what happened there, did the pedal just go to the floor? And its been bad all the time since, or does it work sometime and not work at other times? How about when it is hot, or when it is cold, does that make any difference?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yep, pedal broke and was repaired. when the problem in traffic happened, the pedal went to the floor but did not engage the clutch. i pushed it out of traffic and waited a few minutes, then it worked. i was able to get i home. when i parked it and tried to move out a few minutes later, it wouldn't engage again. i haven't driven it since.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Since the reservoir is full, take a look at the clutch pedal under the dash and make sure it is pushing the rod in for the clutch master cylinder.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yep, rod appears to be properly working.

Quick Reply: 2004 Manual Transmission Help