General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
kaajonman
Unregistered
Default 2004 starting problems

I have a 2004 4cyl. automatic. Three times this past month after the car has been driven for at least 15 minutes it does not want to start.After sitting about 10-30 minutes the carstarts.All the electrics come on (fan,radio,lights) but when I try to turn it over I get nothing.The starter doesn't do a thing.The temp guage shows normal.The check engine lightis not on.Battery is fine.There is not a funny sound or anything.I just turn the key & get nothing.Then after 10-30 minutes it starts like normal.Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2004 starting problems

- Could be your ignition switch. Do you have a huge keychain collection? Excessive key weight can cause the contacts to wear out faster. Try jiggling the key while starting it.

- Could be a main relay issue if it's warm and humid when this happens, but I thought Honda fixed the main relay problems before 2004. Heat and humidity can cause the solder joints to expand and lose contact/have intermittent contact.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you say "I get nothing", do you mean absolute silence, or do you perhaps hear a single "click" from the engine area? If yes, the starter solenoid is worn out and will require replacement, repair, or a new starter.

If you hear absolute silence, the problem is more likely intermittent keyswitch, or possibly poor battery connection (clean and tighten).

good luck

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
kaajonman
Unregistered

I only have 5 keys on the ring.When I say I get nothing I hear absolute silence.I'll check the keyswitch & the main relay.Thanks.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Default Help

I have the same issue. My 2004 Honda Accord (EXL, 4 Cyl, Automatic) car battery died in June/12 and I replaced it with an Ever Start Battery from Walmart.

About a month ago, I had problems with my car starting. Sometimes it would start, and at other times it would not. I took my car back to Walmart and they checked the battery and all was good (the battery was producing enough amps etc).

Then a week later, again it would start and at other times not start. I took it back again and Walmart stated all was good.

Then again the same thing a week later. This time they removed the battery and charged it for 30 min. The car started perfectly for two weeks.

Then, yesterday, again, I had problems. I took it back and they replaced the battery with a new one. It started okay yesterday but today again I have problems starting.

Does anyone have suggestions as to why I am having these intermittent starting problems? Thank you for your assistance.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM

I had the same issue with my Accord. It turned out to be my starter.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Alpha, we need to know whether the starter is cranking the engine.

If the starter cranks the engine, then you need to figure out whether it's lacking fuel or lacking spark.

Honda_love apparently had a case where the starter isn't spinning the engine. If that's true for alpha, then the next question would be - does the solenoid (on the starter) click? It might be worn contacts in that solenoid, or worn brushes in the starter motor, or something like that.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Next time it happens, give the starter a whack with a hammer (you could use the handle) and try to start it. It doesn't need to be a super hard whack. If you don't have enough access to hit it with the hammer, get a piece of broom stick, put it on the starter housing and hit the broomstick. Sometimes a starter will get a bad spot on it, or the solenoid gets a little sticky and all you need to do is jar it a bit and it will turn over.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 PM

Thank you all for the prompt replies and suggestions. I am taking my car in to determine the problem. Thanks to all of you, this forum has very caring Honda lovers!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Basket... before whacking the starter, we need to know whether the starter is working or not. Alpha's description wasn't clear on that. And the earlier postings are from more than 4 years ago, so those guys are probably long gone.

Quick Reply: 2004 starting problems