Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2005 accord Daytime Running Lights (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2005-accord-daytime-running-lights-68217/)

DErh58 01-15-2021 04:35 AM

2005 accord Daytime Running Lights

1 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to understand how the DRL works in my car and what conditions make it come on. I've had only little success so far.
I'm hoping someone can give me better insight here.
@PAhonda, I would greatly appreciate your input too.

Vehicle is a 2005 Accord, 2.4L, EX-L, w/o NAV. It isn't Canadian. It does not have the standard DRL relay beside the fuse box.
So I assumed it didn't have the DRL feature.

To my surprise, I have observed a few times where the high beam lights came on at 50% brightness. I didn't switch them on. DRL worked and I wonder how.
I noted the conditions I observed when it worked: rainy/cloudy day, low sunlight, AC on and running, handbrake lever released (down).
(EDIT - I put wipers on at some point)

Personally, I tried to simulate these conditions by covering the sunlight sensor (at center of dash) with a thick cloth and turning the AC on but the DRL didn't work. I have also driven in those same conditions many other times and DRL didn't work.
3 days ago, I drove out around 6pm and DRL worked. So I'm confused.

What am I missing?
What conditions should trigger DRL to work (high beams at 50%)?
How is it even possible since I have no dedicated DRL relay?

Seanjordan20 01-15-2021 11:57 AM

If it is factory putting it in gear switches on the DRL. Once you turn on your headlights it turns off. As long as you're driving no matter the conditions your DRLs are on.

DErh58 01-15-2021 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 393149)
If it is factory putting it in gear switches on the DRL. Once you turn on your headlights it turns off. As long as you're driving no matter the conditions your DRLs are on.

I think that would be so for Canadian models only.
Thanks for the reply though.

Seanjordan20 01-15-2021 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DErh58
I think that would be so for Canadian models only.
Thanks for the reply though.

I have an 07 Accord US specs and that's how mine works. I'm pretty sure the 05 is no different. I have no idea how a Canadian model works.

Seanjordan20 01-15-2021 03:47 PM

Now that I think about it the DRLs come on when the car is on and the parking brake is released. The MICU provides the reduced voltage 6v for the DRL. The fuse should be #3 under the dash.

DErh58 01-15-2021 04:21 PM

ok.
Thanks.

Since I don't have a DRL relay, I will look deeper into the MICU and it's circuit.
I will post what I find.

DErh58 02-12-2021 04:56 PM

I did a physical trace of the headlights' wires. They all went straight to the relay control module (see pic) which cannot be opened. And, as I stated before, no special DRL unit or DRL relay.

Also did some thorough inspection and concluded that there was absolutely no rewiring by the previous owner. All wires are still stock.

I'll just leave it alone for now.

PAhonda 02-13-2021 06:24 PM

It looks like the US 06 model has a DRL control unit, but not the 03-05. The 06 accord DRL indicator is at the ~4 o'clock position outside the speedometer. Canadian vehicles have required DRLs since the late 1980s. The Canadian version on the 7th gen accords is at the ~10-11 o'clock position from the speedometer

Where is the DRL indicator? It will help determine if you might have a Canadian version of your car or possibly an 06 accord.

Even easier: Can you post the first 12 numbers on your VIN? That should provide all the information on the accord you have.

redbull-1 02-13-2021 06:32 PM

His country code is Nigeria.

PAhonda 02-13-2021 06:42 PM

Thanks Redbull. Lets see if the VIN gives some information on the specs his accord was built (US vs Canadian vs something else?).