General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Check Engine Light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Default 2005 Check Engine Light on

Hi,
I'm not being too dramatic but I'm pissed because of a check engine light that came on my dashboard this morning. I have topped the tank off with gas last night and it was fine. I'm sure I tighten the gas cap. I always do. My Accord has 23K miles on it and it's being rigidly serviced. I visited a dealer today and they said that it may be a gas cap problem. They recommended to drive for a few days and the indicator lamp should dissapear. If not, to bring car back for diagnosis. It may be it but I also suspect a bad gas at the gas station (BP). What do you guys/gals think? Has anyone experienced the same problem in the past? Any other thoughts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2005 Check Engine Light on

ORIGINAL: RoXeTTeMaN

Hi,
I'm not being too dramatic but I'm pissed because of a check engine light that came on my dashboard this morning. I have topped the tank off with gas last night and it was fine. I'm sure I tighten the gas cap. I always do. My Accord has 23K miles on it and it's being rigidly serviced. I visited a dealer today and they said that it may be a gas cap problem. They recommended to drive for a few days and the indicator lamp should dissapear. If not, to bring car back for diagnosis. It may be it but I also suspect a bad gas at the gas station (BP). What do you guys/gals think? Has anyone experienced the same problem in the past? Any other thoughts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

WHAT?? YOU went to a delaer and all they said was to drive with the lite on that it would clear itself??? and this is a dealer??? HOLY COW...........take it back, tell them to hook up the scanner and read the code, if it is the gas cap, remove it, reinstall it and make sure it clicks at least 6 times and have them clear the computer ...

wow i still cannot believe that they never hooked up a scanner to make sure of the code.............
Your car is still totally undr warranty it should all be done FREE OF CHARGE ,,

Old 05-06-2006, 07:41 PM

+1 if your car is still under warranty you should have drove out of the dealer with the light off at least. Don't let the dealer push you around, they will always try and do as little work for you as possible and you have to force them sometimes. Make sure that you save all dealer paperwork when you have your car serviced under warranty. I've seen people who take thier car to the dealer and the dealer doesn't fix the problem or says there is no problem. After the warranty expires the problem gets a lot worse and they can't find the paperwork, so they are stuck.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 AM

I feel the same way man. They are known to give great deals when you are buying a brand new car but their service sucks big time. I won't say their name. I can only say that they are one of Honda dealerships around Chicago suburbs. A service advisor told me that they would have scanned it for 70 bucks. If it's my gas cap I would need to pay for diagnosis because that is not covered by factory warranty. If it would have been something else (engine misfire, injector failure, etc.) then diagnosis charge is on them. Funny huh?
I just came home and guess what?...a check engine light dissapeared! Yeaaaa!!! Thank you guys for having the time to reply to my message. Have a nice Sunday!

Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: RoXeTTeMaN

I feel the same way man. They are known to give great deals when you are buying a brand new car but their service sucks big time. I won't say their name. I can only say that they are one of Honda dealerships around Chicago suburbs. A service advisor told me that they would have scanned it for 70 bucks. If it's my gas cap I would need to pay for diagnosis because that is not covered by factory warranty. If it would have been something else (engine misfire, injector failure, etc.) then diagnosis charge is on them. Funny huh?
I just came home and guess what?...a check engine light dissapeared! Yeaaaa!!! Thank you guys for having the time to reply to my message. Have a nice Sunday!

that is such a bunch of BULL CRAP... you are totally under warranty ,, how can they possibly know what the code is ,without scanning it ... forget the service advicer they are nothing but a bunch of salesmen,,,,,,,, take car back and talk to the service manager and DEMAND yes DEMAND that they chk the car for free, DO NOT say anything about gas cap ,,,and if it is the gas cap code, insist that you always do 6 clicks .. so there must be something wrong with the cap or evaporator system..

DO NOT GIVE THEM A DIME .... if you get no satisfaction from service manager, ask that they give you the phone # for HONDA DISTRICT MAMAGER and give him ( her ) a call
or call Honda customer service 1-800-999-1009

Old 05-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Also besides them being not a very good dealership, I would let all and any of your friends know how your service was not done for you.
Also and remember this Any AutoZone will do your $70.00 scan for FREE...anytime

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM

Hi,
I thought that my problem disappeared but it came back. I'm totally pissed off now! I went to two Auto-Zone stores for code scanning. They obviously laughed at me saying "Can't your dealer check them for you? Your car is still under warranty, right?" Well yea, this is how my dealer works, I replied. Anyway, both came back with FOUR (4) COOLANT SENSORS FAILURE. WTF!!!!! 23K miles and coolant sensors are going bad already?! WOW!!! Unbelievably bad. So, I drove back to the dealer and guess what? They didn't even look at the car when I asked them saying that I need to make an appointment (!?). They said that they were very busy and couldn't squeeze me in to get it fixed. I'm going to visit them again tomorrow for my appointment. I hope my car will be fixed by the end of the day. After that I'm changing a dealership. Enough is enough. The only one big plus is that they are only one mile away from my home but I wouldn't mind travelling farther to get a service I deserve. I know I drive a Honda and not a Bentley but with a customer support like that they can push other drivers around, not me!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 AM

Which dealer is it so i can remember not to go there. If I was in your situation the dealer would have gotten an earful and i would have made them fix the car. There is no reason that you should have to pay anything for fixing your car when its under warranty, nor should you. Next time you goto the dealer, tell them that an unhappy customer tells an average for 60 people about the bad service of that dealership. That is an actual stat that my teacher who used to do warranty claims for Hyundai told me.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Here is the best part to tell your dealer and it is this, Now Over 3893 Honda Accord Members have been alerted to their Not So Great Service Department ,and has been noted. Next make a copy of this post and send it to them and also make a couple copies of this post and send them to Honda America with a return notice from the postoffice...bet you'll get an answer from them over this..As Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch sang in one of their songs
"POWER TO THE PEOPLE" hONDA pEOPLE [sm=massbounce.gif]

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Which dealer is it so i can remember not to go there. If I was in your situation the dealer would have gotten an earful and i would have made them fix the car. There is no reason that you should have to pay anything for fixing your car when its under warranty, nor should you. Next time you goto the dealer, tell them that an unhappy customer tells an average for 60 people about the bad service of that dealership. That is an actual stat that my teacher who used to do warranty claims for Hyundai told me.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 AM

Wow.....wow.....and wow.....

I would find a new dealer, real quick. I would also get all the names of the individuals that gave you that level of crappy service and also request the phone number for the regional manager and let him know about the experience you had. That level of service is totally unacceptable, you have a very new car that is still under warranty and they let you drive off the lot with a 'check engine' light on. That is uncalled for to say the least. As these other guys said, don't let the dealer push you around. I would imagine once you request the regional managers name and phone they will surely change their tune.

Good Luck....

Quick Reply: 2005 Check Engine Light on